Thursday, September 10, 2026

I couldn't take it anymore

 I decided to stop reading The Brothers K - I won't miss them. I w

rote down the publisher, and the translator in case I ever have a reason to go back to them. For a good reason, I might; if so, it may as well be the same edition.

I've had the cushion for the rocking chair in my bedroom, waiting for some finishing touches, so long that I kept forgetting about it. But enough was enough and today I was looking at it. Basically, I'd covered the whole thing with some corduroy, just going right over the original, piping and all, and it almost was enough to cover the whole pad, but there's a space at the back of it that I just handstitched on. I've been meaning to cover it with something - nothing seems like a great idea. So I left it that way; it's on the chair and nobody's going to notice it until something strikes me. 


The offending area is at the back, where the chair spokes (is that the right term?) are, quite unobtrusive.


I took a video of Benny, coming up our driveway:


He stopped at the "crossroads", to ponder whether to go ahead to the back door, or take a left to the front door. 

I picked up Gladys Taber's The Best of Stillmeadow, which I apparently read six years ago . I hadn't remembered that a previous owner of their old farmhouse had murdered his wife! They didn't seem to mind it. They wanted their children to grow up in the country, with fresh air and nature all around. The house was rather run-down, more than they'd realized.

"Our basic equipment for this venture consisted of a staggering fortitude and no common sense. But we didn't know it then. We came out the next weekend and paid some more money. By then, most of the furniture had vanished, except three carders and five spinning wheels, and one rope bed which had been too big for moving out quickly.

High hearted, we advanced. We bought tons of wallpaper, and it turned out to be tons, since we had never papered before and so were uncertain about quantities. For years we gave away wallpaper. I sent for some furniture stored in Virginia, and three weeks later a disturbed Kentucky racehorse arrived while the furniture rode along to some racetrack. It takes time to swap a horse for your furniture. But by then we had discovered the fatal truth about every sink, toilet and tub in the house.

'Well, one could not expect a man to drain the pipes before shooting his wife,' said Jill. 'He didn't think of it.'"


4 comments:

  1. Apologies for not visiting here for ages. We were away from home from the 10th to the 17th and I had loads of work to do before leaving. I now have a little time for enjoying myself after a day of grocery shopping, collecting our medication, having a blood-test and doing many loads of washing.
    I don't blame you for pausing The Brothers K. I have an unfinished book here - it became too tense and I was becoming agitated so I stopped reading it. I may return to it and finish it some time but I thought, "Why suffer and worry about a book? Life is too short to make oneself unhappy by reading a book when reading should be enjoyable". Until recently I prided myself on finishing every book I started but I now pride myself on knowing when to give up! Your cushion decision is just like your Brothers K decision and a very sensible one too! :D I think the spokes are called spindles. My father was a cabinet maker and joiner and he made chairs and tables and cabinets etc. We all learnt about tenons and mortices and the grain in different woods because Dad loved making furniture and talked about it a lot.
    I love the video of Benny ambling up your driveway! I also like the quote from "The Best of Stillmeadow". Richard and my first home together was a moneypit where everything needed repairing or replacing; very similar to the house in the book. Fortunately, we never managed to be sent a racehorse instead of furniture and the former owner hadn't murdered his wife. Quite dull really! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you and Richard sound like a very dull pair. :D Do you have any furniture or anything your father made, Clare?

      Delete
  2. Yes, we have a few bookcases, a small table and a low bench/table which we have in the conservatory. It is good to have a few things to remind us how clever he was. He didn't often make things for family and when he did it usually took him ages to finish them. I can remember he once (while I was still living at home with them) had promised to make a set of shelves for the kitchen before Christmas. He remembered his promise suddenly on Christmas Eve and decided it would be a good idea to make them on Christmas morning much to the disgust of my mother! That was a memorable Christmas! He also made Alice a sledge when she was little and because we don't often get enough snow for sledging she had to wait a couple of years to try it out. I had met Richard by then and he offered to take her out on it. The road I lived on at the time was on a hill so was ideal. Unfortunately, the sledge and Alice were much too heavy and they sank into the snow. Poor Richard gamely dragged this heavy weight up and down the hill outside the front of my house. It was painful to watch! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A memorable Christmas, indeed! Pardon me for laughing at your expense. :D Every family has these aggravations, don't they?
      I hope Alice has been able to go sledging since then, but God bless Richard for his valiant efforts!

      Delete