Thursday, September 14, 2023

foggy mornings, garden dreamings, plans for jam

 Today was dry and beautiful. Which is saying something, because it's been so humid and un-September-like. But at the beginning of the month, we had some of those foggy mornings of mystery.


At the library, four of the chicks hatched; the photos are on my tablet - I'll have to get them off. Two never developed, the other one just wasn't strong enough to complete the hatching process. So sad.

I finally ordered a raised bed and have been saving up cardboard and papers. It's a mess out there but I want to set it up as soon as I can. I've recently discovered Huw Richards on youtube, and what a marvelous gardener that young fellow is! I bought two of his books already and also one by Liz Zorab.



Hers is not only advice, but her story of ill health and how she came to permaculture - very interesting. She and Huw are both Welsh and in a milder climate, but that isn't going to be a problem.

I finished reading The Man Who Was Thursday, and Gretchen wanted me to say a bit more about it. I liked it very well, it's quite a short book, it was unexpected at every turn, and I'm not sure I understood it completely. Basically, it's about anarchy. I'm not good at book reviewing, and it had me surprised all along the way. It was good! Read it, it won't take you long. :)

I bought a bag of clementines really cheap at the supermarket, and would like to try a freezer jam; but I've got to figure it out first. 




5 comments:

  1. We have those foggy mornings of mystery nearly every day recently. I think I might make a sign for the kitchen window to remind me, This is a Foggy Morning of Mystery. (NOT a depressingly damp morning)

    About The Man Who Was Thursday, you just gave me another idea: I should take that little book up to the mountains next week, and read it again. I had just been musing on what to pack in my book box, and I knew I should take at least one work of fiction. Rereading good books is something I don't do enough of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dampness is unpleasant, I agree. If you're not going to have enough sun later to dry it out, it isn't very nice.

      Delete
  2. Love the foggy pictures. And hearing about your life 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been watching some Huw and Liz YouTube videos which I have enjoyed. I have plenty of cardboard to complete my new border project, but need more good soil. Thanks for the tip on the book by Liz Zorab; sounds like my kind of reading. We may all have to become more self sufficient.

    ReplyDelete