Saturday, September 16, 2023

pears, parsley and other things

We're having some nice weather, but it still feels like summer, just late summer. I can hear the katydids outside now. 

A customer gave my brother three beautiful eggplants the other day, but they are hard. It threw me to feel them; they never feel hard from the supermarket. I asked somebody who's grown them and who loves eggplant. She said they're not ripe if they're hard, and they may not soften up. But I'll give them a little time and see if anything happens. I hope we can use them! She said maybe I could slice them up, salt 'em and roast. If they aren't too bitter. 

 I saw a license plate today that said AWSUM. 



They had bags of pears on sale at Stop & Shop. I think I'll make some pear sauce in the crockpot when they get softer. And there was a bag of six avocadoes on the reduced produce shelf for two dollars. I am not crazy about them, but maybe I can make a batch of chocolate avocado pudding. 

My Panasonic iron finally gave up the ghost after fourteen years of ironing two or three times a week. I bought an Electrolux from Amazon - terrible. It doesn't glide! How can you iron with something that doesn't glide well? And the dial is underneath the handle and hard to move. It's just a terrible design, and I need a good iron! Back to the reviews. 

I like the way people hang up their fresh herbs to dry from hooks in the kitchen. I bought a bunch of parsley and ties up some small bunches, hanging them in four places above the sink. You-know-who was watching me; she may jump on the counter overnight and try to reach them. She was even chewing on some of it that fell out. Annie, on the other hand, seemed repelled by it. She's the sensitive one. I remember the time she gagged after sniffing a banana. (sorry, Annie, but I thought that was funny)


4 comments:

  1. Hope you find a better iron!! ❤️ love reading snippets of your life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. It shouldn't be so hard to find a good iron.

      Delete
  2. I also enjoy reading "snippets of your life." We had a good crop of Oriental pears coming along nicely when strong winds blew them to the ground. Those pears make the best preserves, but not to be this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you can't do anything with them, when they fall? That's too bad!

      Delete