Thursday, August 17, 2023

"God bless you, and give you health, strength, good spirits, and as much of life as you think worth having."

The above is a quote from Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to John Adams. More of that later.


I had a cute pillow from the thrift store, from which I'd removed the ugly cover. Underneath, the stuffing was encased in something which wasn't real fabric, and it disintegrated, so I grabbed the nearest piece of cotton to me the other day and whipped up a new cover.


It's a permanent cover, but I still want to make a removable one. 


So I'm done with the Adams-Jefferson letters. Their mutual affection was remarkable, and the sign-offs in their correspondence always touching.

I hope [your health] is restored; and that life and health may be continued to you as many years as yourself shall wish is the sincere prayer of your affectionate and respectful friend.

                                        - Jefferson, Jan. 11, 1817


...I am still unalterably your Friend,  J. Adams

                                       May 21, 1819


I...repeat always with truth the assurances of my constant and affectionate friendship and respect.

                                                - Jefferson, June 27, 1822


I most sincerely congratulate you on the recovery of your hand, and am your friend for this, and, I hope, and believe, for all future Worlds.

                                             - Adams, Feb. 10, 1823


...I add sincere assurances of my unabated, and constant attachment, friendship and respect.

                                                         - Jefferson, Oct. 12, 1823


I have lost your last letter to me, the most consolatory letter I ever received in my life. What would I not give for a copy of it. Your friend for all eternity.

                                                 - Adams, April 19, 1825  (the letter was a congratulation on the occasion of the election of John Quincy Adams to the Presidency)


2 comments:

  1. Greetings! You may want to check the year digits of the date in the last quote... the language of historical letters is so refreshing. Thank you for sharing your reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm tempted to leave it, just for haha's! But I guess I won't. :) Thanks!

      Delete