Monday, August 15, 2022

two kinds of splendor

 We have a lot of these.

Today was the feast of the Assumption of Mary. At Mass on this occasion the priest will bless the fruits of your garden, whatever they might be. I wanted to put some things in a basket to bring, but waking up with a headache really got in the way. My brother threw a few vegetables in a bag and that was ours, in the midst of the attractive baskets at the altar. Oh, well. 

I finished Gatsby. I had no idea how Shakespearean of a tragedy it was, but I can see why it's considered the Great American Novel. Then I went on Prime and watched half of the DiCaprio version; I will say he did very well with Gatsby, but the whole production seemed so over the top - I don't need to watch the whole thing, I know what happens. When the Robert Redford/Mia Farrow Gatsby came out I didn't go to see it but I went to Cape Cod with a co-worker for a weekend. I have a definite memory of a walk we took and how we came upon an evening cocktail party. It was dusk and we could hear the clink of glasses and murmur of voices. The area was upscale - a nearby house had a built-in swimming pool, in a room by itself, lit-up, just before dark - this was 1974. The whole vibe I got was an elegant 1920s one, or what I imagined it to be. 

Through the power of his Resurrection, Christ has adorned Mary with the robe of his own grandeur and majesty, and arrayed her with glory and splendor. These garments of salvation are the revelation and crown of the holiness with which she lived her life on earth.

from Magnificat, August 2022

4 comments:

  1. I often wake with a headache; it's not a good way to start the day, is it? I hope you are better now. I went with my mother to her church on Sunday morning where we celebrated the Assumption with High Mass, a procession and incense and then in the evening we had a said evening prayer service at our church with no mention of the Assumption at all. Mum's church is a High Church and ours is a Low Church - I am happy in both. I spoke to our priest about the Assumption and he said he is sure that she was assumed but Low Church Anglicans don't celebrate this feast it is just an ordinary Sunday in Trinity.
    I have never seen the DiCaprio 'Gatsby' but I saw the Redford/Farrow film at the cinema with a friend when it came out and have seen it on the TV since then. I had never thought of the story as a Shakespearean tragedy but you are right, it is. Have you seen the Woody Allen film 'Midnight in Paris'? I love it. A screenwriter who is dissatisfied with his work and wishes to be a novelist visits Paris with his fiancée. At midnight he finds himself transported back to the 20's where he meets Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Gertrude Stein etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's a terrible way to start, Clare! And lately it takes half the day to get rid of it - and the nausea is always involved in it. I did not realize there was a low church thing in the Anglican faith; I think of it as a high church belief system.
      I have seen Midnight in Paris, and loved it! It's the only Woody Allen film I've ever seen, and likely to be the only, since he really turns me off as a person, but I was so drawn by the premise of the movie I had to see it. You make me want to see it again!

      Delete
    2. Isn't it amazing, (and damned stupid!) that I can't comment as myself on my own blog, from a different computer. 8-O - Definitely Not anonymous ;-)

      Delete
    3. How irritating not to be able to comment as you on your own blog!

      Delete