Thursday, August 18, 2022

passing away

Dolly isn't feeling so well these days, with a UTI and poor appetite. We're much occupied in trying to help her out - to feel more comfortable, at least. I read her this poem. I'm sure it was more for my own sake than for hers. 


Passing Away, Saith the World

Passing away, saith the World, passing away:
Chances, beauty and youth, sapp'd day by day:
Thy life never continueth in one stay.
Is the eye waxen dim, is the dark hair changing to grey
That hath won neither laurel nor bay?*
I shall clothe myself in Spring and bud in May:
Thou, root-stricken, shalt not rebuild thy decay
On my bosom for aye.
Then I answer'd: Yea.

Passing away, saith my Soul, passing away:
With its burden of fear and hope, of labour and play,
Hearken what the past doth witness and say:
Rust in thy gold, a moth is in thine array,
A canker is in thy bud, thy leaf must decay.
At midnight, at cockcrow, at morning, one certain day
Lo, the Bridegroom shall come and shall not delay:
Watch thou and pray.
Then I answer'd: Yea.

Passing away, saith my God, passing away:
Winter passeth after the long delay:
New grapes on the vine, new figs on the tender spray,
Turtle calleth turtle in Heaven's May.
Though I tarry, wait for Me, trust Me, watch and pray.
Arise, come away, night is past and lo it is day,
My love, My sister, My spouse, thou shalt hear Me say.
Then I answer'd: Yea.

Christina Rossetti 


* I would say that our Dolly has won many laurels in this household and in our hearts, so this line does not apply to her. ;-)

8 comments:

  1. that's a really comforting poem, thank you. So sorry Dolly is poorly. God's comfort to you ! and your brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm certain her passing will be sweeter, with you at her "bedside." God bless you. <3

    Gretchen Joanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gretchen. She's uncomfortable but when we feed her and squirt water in her mouth, she starts to come around and wants to eat and drink on her own some. Have no idea how long this will go on. The tumor hasn't grown, but her immune system is weak, so she gets infections.

      Delete
  3. Poor Dolly! I really like the poem too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had copied it from somewhere ages ago and the paper has been laying around here. I love it.

      Delete
  4. Big hugs to all of you. That's a hard thing to go through with loved ones, furry or otherwise. I adore that you read her a poem though. That is so sweet. You're lucky to have each other. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth! She will never be forgotten.

      Delete