Monday, August 8, 2022

bananas and tomatoes

 We are still in a very hot spell; there is an official heat advisory until tomorrow night - it started Thursday morning! It was originally for a couple of days but they keep extending it until the next day, and they did it again yesterday. Wednesday is supposed to be better. Meanwhile, the foil pan of water I've been putting out is not being used by anybody in any way I can tell. The apple slices were gone the first time, and my brother said the water was dirty, but the second night, only one slice was gone. Saturday night I tried slices of radish, but nobody touched it. It was windy yesterday evening, and the tin blew off under the apple tree and the water was put out. It's breezy today, so I'll skip it. I wonder where all the ground creatures get their water around here.


Yesterday while making dinner, Annie came onto the table, hoping for some food; she'd already had lunch, so I ignored her. After a while I heard her chewing - she does tend to chew on odd things - and I could see squirts of tomato seeds and juice on the tablecloth. She had eaten one of the small tomatoes on the tray!  She wasn't tempted to try another, but she seemed none the worse for it, and she didn't run away in disgust. It reminded me of the time Henry accidentally ate a blueberry. He never wanted another.

The Orphan may have a sensitive system. A story, and this has happened twice: While I was eating a banana, she came up to me, so I held it out so she could sniff. She backed away after a whiff of it, and then actually gagged. I mean, in that exaggerated way that a comic actor might employ to get the point across - picture it in your mind. No bananas for Annie!

2 comments:

  1. We are putting water out for the creatures as well, in plant-pot saucers with a stone in, not just to stop them blowing away but to stop tiny animals getting stuck in the saucer with no way to climb out. I am amused by your Annie stories, Lisa :D I don't think many cats would eat a tomato and I can understand her not wanting banana! I had a cat who ate very odd things but I always thought that was because she left her mother too early and hadn't been trained properly! She was a rescue cat; I would never have separated a kitten from its mother before it was properly weaned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, Annie will chew on plastic if it's around, which I find alarming. We have no idea of her origins, although I heard that when cats often "knead", it's because they were taken from mother too soon. I've never seen her do that. Who knows?
      I just thought of a rock in the dish this morning, but it seems the water isn't touched so I didn't know what to do, but I should try again. I never thought of little creatures being stuck in the pan!

      Delete