Friday, August 5, 2022

pleasant streets in the dusk of childhood

 So I'm reading Gatsby, and I've never read Fitzgerald before. His prose is interesting in its spare, aloof matter-of-fact style. I was thinking almost too detached, but then

"For a moment the last sunshine fell with romantic affection upon her glowing face; her voice compelled me forward breathlessly as I listened - then the glow faded, each light deserting her with lingering regret, like children leaving a pleasant street at dusk." 

Really. ...with lingering regret like children leaving a pleasant street at dusk.  This evokes such impressions from childhood. I still feel like he's coolly telling the tale from a safe and unemotional distance, but that simile did impress me. He's not remote enough to lose a sense of poetry. 

5 comments:

  1. Oooh - I like that, too.

    GretchenJoanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pleased you are enjoying Fitzgerald. I do like his writing and have read The Great Gatsby, Tender is the Night and many of his short stories. He does have a detached style I agree, but the stories seem linger in the memory for some time after finishing them. He writes about sadness and failure and futility but in an unforgettable way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen any film adaptations, either. There are three, from the Redford/Farrow one, to the recent DiCaprio one, and one in between from the 80s, I think. They all have their fans and detractors.

      Delete
  3. That's a magical turn of phrase! So evocotive indeed! I've never read Gatsby or any Firtgerald, but have long been tempted to do so. I've got a few people in my life with some passionate oppinions on his writing...I've always thought I should find out for myself. Soooooo many books, not nearly enough time! Thanks for sharing, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so many books, not enough time - yes! :D

      Delete