Thursday, July 7, 2022

soothing

 It was still pretty light out at five to nine. I was about to close a kitchen window, but pushed up the screen instead and stuck my face out into the cool air; it was so pleasant. And I saw a firefly across the brook, visible in the not-quite-dark. I suppose they must fly around during the day. Or do they know their movements take on an enchantment after dark, and save their efforts for the night? 

I am happy to indulge my fancies after a day of struggling over a migraine. After three ineffectual doses of Exedrin, I tried garlic capsules, which I've found helpful for sinus issues. Now I'm almost giddy with relief. 


I bought this hanging plant two months ago. Is it possible the blooms that were on it then, are the ones still on it today? Because I tell you, I have had no blossoms on the front steps, nothing dried up on the plant I have to pick off. I just realized this the other day. A bloom can't last that long, can it? I must be dreaming. But this is an amazing plant, and look how full it is. I only water it. I have no idea what it is. The one I had last summer was also very pretty, but I had to remove the spent flowers; that's to be expected. 


I am back with Gladys Taber for a while, one of her Cape Cod books. It's very soothing to read her. And I picked up a Frances Mayes, about bringing a Tuscan decorating style to your American home. She's also very soothing to read. And I am finally trying the Fairacre series by Miss Read. I've got Miss Clare Remembers. It's very nice, and deeper than I expected. Not as light as the Thrush Green stories. 


All very pleasant to read when one has headaches and sinus problems.

9 comments:

  1. Oh how lovely the planter! Sometimes God gives us something extra special to cheer us up! So sorry about the headaches! And I don't know if I commented about your concerns for Dolly cat... hard! God bless you! I love all of the Miss Read books! That one is very special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Elizabeth! Yes, it's hard about Dolly. But the medicine is making her seem so well that it's easy to forget she's got cancer. And that's weird.

      Delete
  2. I have just started the Thrush Green series after finishing the Village School series -- I have loved that series so I hope that TG is just as good, even if a different tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience was the people liked the Fairacre books better than the Thrush Green, but I liked it. The characters were well done.

      Delete
  3. Thank God for the relief from your migraine! I remember being amazed at your first posting about that plant 'way back. I could use something so constant and colorful in my space -- couldn't we all!

    -Gretchen Joanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and from the supermarket, no less! I just look for something which is really going to hang over the edge of the pot, and this was the one!

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry you get migraines. I do too and sometimes the medication just doesn't work. How interesting that garlic capsules help with sinus problems - I must try them!
    Is your plant a surfinia? It looks very much like it.
    I started with the Fairacre books and when I went on to the Thrush Green novels I missed the people from Fairacre terribly, but only for a while. Miss Read captured just what it was like living in an English rural community in the 50's and 60's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, (10 days later!) I looked up surfinia, and it's a petunia? The flowers are shaped like that, but much smaller. I don't know it they ever have small blossoms. Maybe! I hope you've tried the garlic by now - my sinuses just open up when I take it. I think mine are a strong formula, and I often take two.

      Delete
  5. I'm a bit late with the comments, but I'm glad your migraine is better. Natasha takes Excedrin for her migraines too, but finds they are often not working now. She may have to progress to a Triptan, which is what I take. Interesting about the garlic capsules for sinus problems. I must remember that!
    Your yellow plant is beautiful. So fresh and pretty!
    And I love your book selection!!! xx

    ReplyDelete