Monday, October 18, 2021

wanting it both ways


 The weather today turned a corner. They said it wouldn't reach sixty, and I dug out some fall-type clothes; I was waiting to feel like it was time. So I dressed for the weather and was comfortable on an otherwise beautiful day, and I had to ask myself why it is that I still love summer best, when I am unable to function in humidity? I know why: It's the long days, the fireflies, the possibility of outdoor living, the bare feet, the open windows all day. But it's also the air conditioning, (or) the sweating, the limited menu because you don't want to heat the house by too much cooking, the lack of energy, seeing the cats lay around like 

all credit to Gary Larson! :D


Today, even though cool, I washed a window! I was comfortable! But it was dark at six thirty. And it's been forty five degrees at night. 

Trade-offs. 

8 comments:

  1. The seasons always keep us busy, keeping up, responding to the constant changes and new feelings, weighing and judging, comparing. Um... including complaining and wishing, haha!

    Happy Autumn, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we're having a shorter autumn this year. It's a race for the trees, whether they'll lose their leaves before they change colour. I'm missing the longer days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the chicken joke :)
    We should trade places. Autumn is my favourite season, and we are heading into summer. NOT my favourite season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love autumn, Lynda! And your summers are hot, aren't they? :)

      Delete
    2. Not as hot here in Tasmania as on the mainland, but anything over 18C/65F is getting too hot for me :)

      Delete
    3. It's true, though, Lynda. Even when the weather is lovely but warmer - even only 70, it's too warm to take a walk comfortably in the sun, and when you do any kind of work, you'll be sweating. The hot weather could be nice if we could lead a life of total leisure. :D Not in this lifetime!

      Delete