Saturday, October 30, 2021

tree curiosity

 My brother came in the other day to say he'd seen a garden snake laying in a sunny patch of dirt, put down after the fellow finally came to remove the ground-up wood chips. I have never seen a snake on our property, but of course they are there, so I said let's go back out - I want to see it. We went right out again - but he was gone.

Meanwhile, there we were, across the brook where I'd been examining the leaves of the trees out there, because I haven't paid attention and don't even know what they are. I know the tall swamp maple, because it's the brilliant one every October. And I did know the sassafras, with three different types of leaves on one tree -


one, a sort of mitten shape, one, with three lobes (is that the right word?) and another just oval-ish. I'd also noticed a maple with very large leaves, and this tree is still green! I guess it does this (or rather, doesn't do it) every fall, but as I said, I never noticed. So I picked a leaf and looked in my guide. It's most probably a Norway maple. Seems to be considered a pest by many, and it doesn't get pretty in the fall. 


This leaf is about nine inches across. And I also saw another shaped leaf, but I had to take one from the ground, since the branches are too high up. It's an elm! I think, a slippery elm, which is nice to have around; I used to love those slippery elm lozenges by Thayer. They don't make them anymore.


However, I'm glad to know what an elm leaf looks like. Meanwhile, my brother saw a snake again today, but I wasn't there, again. I'm sure I'd be startled to see a long snake in the grass, but I'm not afraid of them. 

4 comments:

  1. I like all those different sassafras leaf shapes. It is interesting to find out what trees you have on your land; I don't think I've identified all of ours yet - there are some that are difficult to get to - and it is good to have a slippery elm in your yard especially as I think they are less likely to get Dutch Elm Disease. Those leaf shapes reminded me of being at primary school and doing leaf printing and drawing round the leaves and making pictures out of the shapes. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, if you haven't identified all the trees on your property, then I feel a whole lot better! :)

      Delete
  2. Are the lozenges made using the leaf part of Slippery Elm?

    ReplyDelete