Sunday, March 31, 2019

extremes of behavior

There's a fellow up the road who sells tires. His shop is behind another place and there's a bit of woods behind there. Periodically, my brother gives him bags of dry cat food - why? He has stray cats living inside the shop, and three of four shelters outside with a feeding station. We stopped by there after church to see; there was one sleeping in the window, a tough-looking ginger cat. They are safe in there, and cared for as much as he can. A good-hearted man!



I think the forsythia will bloom, after all! 


I think I was naughty today: at church, the pew I sat in had a stain on it from something dripping above. This is a recurring issue until the ceiling will be looked at, but my intent was to wet something to clean it off. I took my cotton handkerchief, but rather than go all the way downstairs to a sink, I dipped it in the holy water and used that. My knee has been suffering badly from arthritis lately, and I didn't want to go all the way downstairs to the bathrooms, although I am much improved. I don't feel as guilty about this as I probably should. I keep thinking of King David eating the showbread; of course, one can always find (good) excuses for one's errors. As for the hanky, I dried it out and will wash it by hand tomorrow and use the water in a plant.

6 comments:

  1. I am glad your arthritis is a little better than it was. I am sure that using Holy Water to clean something in church is not so terrible, especially as you are in pain. I am thinking about your church with bathrooms and water on tap! The nearest WC is in the pub half a mile up the road from our church and the only water we have is in the rainwater tank outside. My mother's church recently had rooms built onto their church at great expense, but what comfort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when American anglophiles think of your picturesque country, we are not thinking of things like no bathrooms in the church building!

      Delete
    2. Whoa. Yeah, I had NO idea.... Fascinating.

      Delete
  2. I love this story.

    Since I grew up in the Catholic church I could see some folks getting bent out of shape by the Holy Water business, but I don't see it that way. You were doing an act of service for your church community. God takes pity on the poor and lame so I am sure He'd understand your intentions and knees. And you've given such thought to where the final drops will go. I am glad you don't feel too guilty. :) Last week was my (own minor) public confession, this week yours. It made me smile.

    ReplyDelete