Wednesday, February 13, 2019

the barnacle

When I sit at my computer, Sweetie usually appears from nowhere; she either jumps onto my lap or gets onto the other end of the table, moving toward me, purring more and more loudly. It's hard to get away from her.

Earlier this evening, she did this. I read once that cats don't like wind. So as she approached, I blew in her direction; she stopped where she was and waited in that way animals do because they know we call the shots. This is where I feel guilty. I blow on her and she sits there, purring (because purring is the Most Important Thing she does), and I feel badly for thinking she is a pest. (she is, though)


I often let her on my lap, really. But sometimes she would get in the way, so I blow. It doesn't matter. We will repeat this whole performance tomorrow. And the next day.


9 comments:

  1. yes! So very much a cat! :) Cleo does different but similar things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly also does it - to a degree - but not pesty. (now I feel guilty again for even using that word) :( Of course, as I type, she is purring Very Loudly on my lap. :D

      Delete
    2. Sweetie, of course. Not Dolly.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, I remember having to sit so still for ages with a cat on my lap and not being allowed to knit or read or move without a claw being stuck in my leg as a punishment. My daughter's cat sits on her laptop keyboard so Alice uses her phone or notebook instead. Cats *are* pests sometimes, but it makes them such interesting characters, don't you think? They know exactly what they are doing and that they risk being shooed away but it doesn't stop them trying! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I will not tolerate! Sweetie will also go on my laptop keyboard - the warmth, I guess - and I remove her. But she will try and try again - she doesn't learn that I don't like it. Dolly would, and that's what makes her unusual. But yes, they are Interesting Characters, definitely. I'm just reading "A Street Cat Named Bob" again, after seeing the dvd. That's a wonderful story.

      Delete
  3. How could something so sweet be a pest?!?! :)) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I will have to try this trick the next time I've got pesky cats in my sewing room. I mean, nine times out of ten I'll just cave and let them impede whatever I am doing, but SOMETIMES I need full mobility and use of both hands! :) As long as they're purring I don't think you should feel too bad about it.

    ReplyDelete