Thursday, December 13, 2018

homegrown wreath for the front door

Two years ago I happened upon this video showing how to make a wreath; I bought a large frame and green wire just like she uses there. but never got around to it that year. Last season I intended to make a wreath, but we had more snow than I wanted to wade through. This year I also was looking for an opportunity.


The library's been closed this week, getting new carpet. I took the week off but many of my co-workers are there in the back room working on a project, and we decided to have our Christmas party in there today.


After a string of sunny days today was overcast and it began lightly snowing before we started out; when I got home I had enough of that holiday feeling from the snow and the party, and I was already in my boots and jacket - I decided to go out and cut some greenery around the yard for a wreath.

I had to force myself - I didn't know what I was doing. Making my way around the property I cut mostly arbor vitae and some yew. I was happy to see the azalea leaves which gave a different reddish blackish tinge and across the brook was a patch of a broad leafed evergreen that I think the birds must have planted, with leaves that are small, glossy and dark. It may be inkberry - we used to have one of those shrubs.


I really liked the evergreen above but could hardly reach it; I didn't want to slip into the brook.


I brought my collection inside and began with the method described in the video,


running out about two thirds of the way through and having to go back out, but I finished! I searched through the pretty ribbon and found a beautiful red length with gold edges to fill in one small sparse area. It's on the front door now!


I love it! Tomorrow I want to go back out to look for some berries or bits of color I can stick in here or there. But it's just the kind of thing I like - sort of undone and natural looking. 


7 comments:

  1. oh it's lovely!!!! Well done! How fun! I like that blue door also! and that ribbon is a great touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too!!

    So pretty and natural. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lisa! It's absolutely lovely! I haven't the courage or skill to make a wreath for the door so I buy one each year. You will have to show us how it looks with the extra berries and so on. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, I'm sure you could do it! It's less a matter of courage than of determination (I can say that now that I've done it), and skill has no part in it! The one she makes in the video is full, gorgeous and more balanced. Mine is more ragged, but I was encouraged by the article in December British Country Living, which showed more rustic looking wreaths. You should give it a go sometime! :)

      Delete
    2. Well, yes I might. I am often disappointed with the ones I buy which are very expensive. I will have to look at Country Living magazine!

      Delete
  4. Thank you, everyone! I didn't end up getting more things today. The dried berries would probably fall off after a bit - at least, they do when I cut the stems for a vase - so I think I'll wait till next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is gorgeous!! I may have to do something similar, though it would probably be truly scruffy. The wreath I bought at my usual place has dried out and is turning brown really fast :-(

    ReplyDelete