Wednesday, September 25, 2013

very bulky hand warmers

Since finally getting comfortable with dpn knitting recently, I am happily supplying myself with hand-warmers. These are the Simple Wristlets, made with super bulky yarn - so fast! 


This is the recommended yarn, which is Malabrigo Gruesa, a terrific thick-and-thin wool which gives such an interesting look to these mitts - I don't even like them in plain old yarn. Gruesa has been discontinued but I managed to find some online. I bought two neutrals: a natural color and a charcoal. (but yesterday I ordered some more in lettuce green and a cool light blue!) Anyway, needless to say I love the stuff. I'm also finding that for double pointed knitting, I actually like wooden needles - my work seems secure on them, not likely to slip off too-slippery needles. For regular knitting, I've always preferred the old-fashioned aluminum or plastic I learned on (now I'm showing my age, I guess).

My book is Outcasts United, about a mostly-African refugee community in Georgia. It's about people from nations at war trying to make their way in a strange place. Also, a young Jordanian Smith College graduate who's good at soccer - she ends up in this town and coaches the young men from these families, giving them some focus and teaching them about teamwork. I like it so far.

Thanks to Ginny.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to seeing your hand warmers, I like the yarn and color! The book sounds interesting, I've recently been completely taken by a book titled "French Children Eat Everything" - it is so very good and helping me rethink some of my ideas on children as well as food.

    ReplyDelete