Thursday, August 8, 2024

solutions

 I've been wondering if my butternut squashes out in the garden will rot from laying on the often-wet earth. I went out today and realized there are four squash there!! That plant, which I grew from a seed, by the way, has spread over the whole place out there. It's leaves are shading everything else, so I don't think the red onions are going to do anything. But I do love butternut squash! I think if I just go out and lift up each one every day, they should get enough air all the way around. 


I finished reading The Yearling this morning. Before, when I looked ahead, it was quickly done and I didn't get the peripheral descriptions and details surrounding the - well, I'll call it the tragic event. Reading it carefully gave a context and a "good" ending to the story. I mean, not happy, but right. And it was so well written, everything and everyone lifelike. 

And now, when I see Daisy and observe her liveliness, her antics, I remember Jody's fawn, Flag. These creatures are what they are. They live in our world but they're outside of society, they can't always understand how to operate within it. (well, Dolly could, but we won't go there). Daisy has her fun, she looks for something new to do, she gets into things, she causes problems we have to solve by altering this and that in the house. Anyway, I feel that now I'm looking at her in a different way, and when I'm tempted to get impatient, that fawn in the story comes to mind. Daisy is just happy to be alive, and when she looks into my eyes at length the way she sometimes does, is she wondering why we're buddies some of the time and why I yell, at others? 

our little "yearling" - it's important to be Earnest, and she is

It was a beautiful story. I wonder why she wrote it.

I machine-stitched my blue skirt hem today. I'm not sure I like the way it looks, and I think I'll chop off the whole hem and just have it a little shorter. Since it's practically a maxi, it will still be plenty long, but it won't be catching in my sandal buckles. The never ending skirt.


2 comments:

  1. I loved "The Yearling." Wild critters can be depended on to be true to their nature, unlike most people. I asked Millie in my nice human voice to please not dig up the shrubs in an effort to keep cool, but to no avail. She tried, but... So, she digs and I accept that. I am looking forward to catching up on all your posts that I have missed during my absence. Yours is a favorite blog.

    ReplyDelete