Monday, August 12, 2024

nature calling

I awoke sometime in the dark, and realized an owl was hooting. An owl isn't unusual, but I can't remember when I last heard one, so I guess they are unusual. I listened for a while, and had to get to the bathroom. Meanwhile, Dianne's husband went down the road in his snazzy car and the owl stopped. 

I wanted to identify the call while I still remembered it. I got my tablet; it was four thirty. It was a great horned. So exciting! Not sure why, since they are common. I guess I am just glad I heard it, and glad I was able to find out what type. It seemed funny to me that Daisy wasn't interested when I was in my window, figuring out where he might be - she paid no attention. 

Speaking of paying no attention, my brother was astonished when he went out to the shed, and the rabbit nearby just ignored him. Well, he said he watched my brother, but never moved. Could it be the word has gotten out among them - we are friendly to rabbits? 


It was a very cool, refreshing night, and perfect day - in the seventies! Later we had at least three brief showers with cloudy spells, where I'd put up the shade, then bright and sunny and warm, where I'd pull it down. Up and down, up and down. I think the back-and-forthing is a precursor to more humidity - well, it is August. And today was very un-August like. That's all right; July was rough.

You can't see it from the house, so we didn't notice right away, but a large branch broke off a tree across the brook and fell halfway across the grassy area back there; my brother won't be able to mow past it until he gets rid of it.


Just snapped off. It probably wasn't like that on Saturday. We had the remains of Hurricane Debby here on Friday night, but it wasn't as bad as it was originally predicted. Still, it was very gusty for the whole day and night. 


Does this mean it was weak? That tree is tall, and I know my brother has mentioned taking it down. I always resist, because it glows so beautifully in autumn. But it could fall on our house, or on one of our neighbors'. Oh, brother. We have had loads of rain this season, not to mention last year. Basically, more rain than normal over the past year. This can loosen the tree roots, and the big winds will topple them. He said he's glad he just got new blades for his chainsaw. 

4 comments:

  1. That is an enormous branch! I hope the rest of the tree is okay - but perhaps you have decided to fell it as it may be diseased and liable to loose more branches. Your grass is lovely and green! We have had a mainly dry and hot August and things are beginning to look a little yellow and tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't talked any more about it, so maybe it will survive to be brilliant another fall season. Yes, everything is so green, and rather soggy. Augusts used to be as you describe, dry and crunchy. Don't know what happened.

      Delete
  2. If I thought I should hear the hooting of an owl, I would sleep with my windows opened wide. Actually, it has been so very hot for so long that we have slept under air conditioning most of the summer. However, this morning it was a chilly 62 degrees! So nice for my morning walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for you, Mary. Our August has been strangely cool, but pleasant.

      Delete