Monday, March 11, 2024

"to use this day well"

 We were out much of the day - there was a wind advisory. Well, it's March, isn't it? Oh, the wind. But when the strong winds come after a load of rain, surely it must help to dry things out. And it must be blowing in the warm air that's coming tomorrow: fifty eight, it's supposed to be! 

Along the road we noticed how high the river was - we were going to the shore to visit cousins - and next door to their place, the neighbor had what looked like a lake in the back yard.


I guess they are that much lower than my cousin's, but we saw several properties with ponds in their yards; that's how much rain we've had around here. 

I knew we might be out for a while, so I mixed up some pastry dough yesterday, and this morning was able to bake a pie crust. This made it easy to whip up a quiche when we got home. One doesn't always feel like doing these things ahead, but it would have been another half hour if I'd left it for later.

The cats, meanwhile, had to forgo lunch and I wonder what they thought about that. I suppose they just waited till we came, maybe knowing it was a longer while than usual, and just accepting it. But cats live in the present, don't they? So I may be concerned for nothing.

"...Better to live one day at a time. This is a hard task, often, for we tend to keep going to the past and trying to live it over again or looking ahead and uselessly trying to forecast tomorrow and next week and next year. But somebody has said all the time we really have is the NOW. We have today.

To use this day well, that is about the sum of it."

                                              -  Gladys Taber

4 comments:

  1. I love the Gladys Taber quote. I am working hard to live more in the present. Hilltop post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Mary. That's where God is. xo

      Delete
  2. Well said, Gladys Taber! I agree with her that living one day at a time is quite difficult most of the time; I can ony do it if I'm not too worried and/or I haven't got too much to do during the next few days. Perhaps it becomes easier with practice?
    We had a much drier week last week and even had some sunshine at times, though it was still quite chilly. This week we are back to yet more rain and everything is waterlogged again.

    ReplyDelete