Saturday, March 23, 2024

staying dry

 We had rain all day again; so much that I ordered the groceries for delivery. 


Puddles everywhere.

But we were cozy in the house, and I made broccoli soup. Which is so easy, so little effort, and while it's cooking, there's the onion, garlic and chicken broth aromas, which are very salutary when you've recovering from a headache. That, and tuna sandwiches were a perfectly fine supper.

I made the casing for the skirt today, and I've got to thread the elastic through it to see if I like the fullness. If it's too much, I'll have to re-do one of the side seams to make it narrower. Which is a relative term, since it's going to be as gathered as will look well. It's a very drapey and thin-ish rayon fabric, so it shouldn't be bulky even with a lot of gathers. We'll see how it looks.

I make small granola batches on the stovetop, which are very fast to do. The other day I was about to put away the rolled oats, when the container dropped and oats went all over the floor - I probably spilled two cups or more! Without a second thought, I scooped them off the floor and put them back in the box. Please don't imagine my floor is clean; I just could not bear to lose those oats, so I put the idea of any grossness right out of my mind instantly. But I also told myself that maybe I should make a batch every day for a while, basically to keep my eye on any unwanted somethings in the container, rather than be wondering if any crawlies are in the box. To use it up sooner than later seemed a good idea. So I made another batch today; it takes fifteen minutes or less from start to finish. And I didn't find anything unusual in the oats, so far. 


Well, Holy Week is upon us. There is a little piece in Magnificat today about Elizabeth Jennings, the poet. She struggled with mental illness, but her poetry and her faith kept her going.

Teach me how you love and have to die
 And I will try                                         
  Somehow to forget myself and give        
   Life and joy so dead things start to life   
    Let me show now an untrammeled joy     
     Gold without alloy.                                    


Something to remember for this week, I think.                           

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you have had a headache; I hope you are fully recovered now. I feel I ought to say the following in a whisper in case I am being premature but... Last autumn I had a blood pressure test and I found for the first time in my life that I had high blood pressure. Eventually, in mid December after lots of tests I was given tablets to take. Ever since then I have not had one migraine and have only had a few light headaches that have gone quickly. I am so surprised and cannot see the connection but there must be one, I suppose. I have had bad headaches all my adult life, the migraines developed about 25 years ago and as I said, I have always had normal blood pressure until last autumn.
    I am looking forward to seeing your skirt. I am not skilled enough to work without a pattern and admire anyone who can. My grandmother always made clothes (sewing and knitting) without a pattern but the skill hasn't been passed down to me.
    Spilled ingredients! I can't bear the waste either, though it does depend what I've dropped on the floor and how clean the floor is! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope this really is the end of your headaches, Clare! A few years ago they did say it was up a little, but not consistently, and not that bad. I'm due for another doctor visit. It's strange about the blood pressure and migraines, though. I mean, you didn't have the high BP before, but you did have the headaches.
      This skirt is just two rectangles with an elastic, so it's not like I have any real talent, but I tried the elastic today and it's too bunchy - I've got to trim it down and try again.

      Delete