Saturday, March 9, 2024

a day's work

 Well, I finished Howards End; I’m relieved. Of course, it is well written. Of course, it’s a good story. But I didn’t *like* it. This may be due to imperfections in my attitude or understanding, but there it is; I’m glad to finish it.


Robins have been around.

I've been thinking of a drapey, spring skirt; I bought a rayon print in a nice strong but muted turquoise with - for lack of a better term - animal print stripes. Which sounds weird, but the colors are brown, sort of a gold, off-white and dark red. I have a brown sweater, and probably other things I can wear with it and I think an elastic waist is the simplest course.


The color is washed out in this picture, but there's something about brown and turquoise, or robin's egg blue - it speaks to me of spring. And two yards cost me fourteen dollars from denverfabrics.com. I need to figure out how wide I want the casing to be, and what size rectangles for the front and back pieces.

We were supposed to go see the new film about Mother Cabrini with some folks from church, but I've got a slight intestinal thing. I thought I'd better stay home. Three of my co-workers have had terrible bugs run through their families in the last three weeks, and how do I know if I'm a carrier? Anyway, I washed the bathroom floor and cleaned the kitchen counters, which was satisfying, and I felt better for staying home. 

When I go to the basement to bring up something, I'm usually juggling the stuff or I use a plastic bag. But there was a sturdy basket hanging down there which I suddenly remembered. I cleaned it up, and now it serves as a very handy and far more pleasant way of carrying things up from my shopping trips downstairs.


So we, when this day's work is o'er,
And shades of night return once more,
Our path of trial safely trod,
Shall give the glory to our God.

6 comments:

  1. A drapery spring skirt sounds lovely. I do love browns and blues together. Hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen the combination on Victorian style greeting cards, with birds' nests, etc..

      Delete
  2. Your skirt sounds lovely! Looking forward to seeing a photo when it's finished :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The skirt material looks lovely!
    It's always best to stay at home if you have an upset stomach etc. especially if others around you have been ill. I hope you get the opportunity to see the film another time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we get new DVD's at the library, I will probably watch it when it gets released for sale.

      Delete