Monday, February 12, 2024

under glass

My boss buys bouquets for our birthdays, but when I bring mine home, after a day or two my eyes burn, I feel it in my breathing. So I thought I'd better tell her. The next time she bought two little Christmas or crab cactuses. They sat on my desk so pretty, and then hours later I wondered why my eyes were burning. I moved them to a far windowsill. 


This last birthday, she gave me a terrarium. It's the easiest thing in the world! No flowers, no fragrance. I can feel the humidity when I remove the glass cover, and when it seems less humid in there I just spray in some water. So far, so good!

6 comments:

  1. That is so interesting! Have you researched why these florist plants might be irritating?

    Gretchen Joanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it isn't florist things, Gretchen - I think she gets them at the supermarket, actually - it's the pollen. I am allergic. I don't bring flowers in the house for long. :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh! Hayfever! I have it and so does Richard and so does Elinor! But we all react to different pollens. We all suffer when the oil-seed rape is in flower in the fields, Elinor reacts really badly to oak pollen, I can't cope with pea flowers (including bean, wisteria, broom etc) and we all are glad when the grass stops flowering. A summer of sore eyes and runny noses :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes it hard to just enjoy life, doesn't it? (don't know whether to laugh or cry about that -) And doesn't it seem unnatural that we would be allergic to nature? Something weird about it.

      Delete
    2. Yes! Also, more people have hay fever now than when I was a girl. I never had a problem until about 20 years ago when I began to suffer from asthma and hayfever.

      Delete