Monday, February 26, 2024

cassoulet, at last!

 Oh, what a day. We are to have three days of temps in the fifties, but cloudy. Well, today wasn't; we had mostly sun! Windows open, birds singing. So hopeful and springlike!

I like to buy meat on sale, of course. But sometimes the manager's specials don't amount to much; I got a one-pound package of Angus stew beef for six dollars but there wasn't another. So, I browned it, thinking of what an insipid stew it would make. What other protein could I put in? And then I thought of cassoulet - something I never made but always wondered about. I did some research, then found a vegetarian version  I used that as a starting point. 


After browning the beef, I cut up a leek and a red onion. I put in a good handful of "baby" carrots and sliced two celery stalks in thick pieces. I sauteed this with half a teaspoon of salt and one quarter of pepper, for fifteen minutes. I then added three cans of cannellini (drained and rinsed), a bay leaf, some parsley, lots of thyme, a (smaller) can of diced tomatoes, quart of water with some soup base - some garlic, some chicken - and the meat. Also, since cassoulet usually has some sausage in it, I had a little bag of sliced pepperoni, so I put in lots after cutting the slices into half moons. This cooked for half an hour.

I suppose the deliciousness of it came from the pepperoni, but whatever - I used what I had and would have made do without it. I am really pleased at this idea, since I don't tend to think of the beans when I want more protein. I think of them as carbs and don't want to eat lots, but this recipe is a keeper and I'll add cannellini to the new shopping list.

2 comments:

  1. The cassoulet sounds and looks delicious! A few beans or lentils add protein, interest and bulk to a casserole or stew and it's good to keep some dried or canned in the cupboard. I enjoy mixing whatever I have in the fridge and the larder into nutritious meals. Years ago I used to worry about sticking to recipes, but I hardly ever bother with them these days when cooking for the family. I sometimes do as you do and try a recipe and if I haven't got or can't obtain a certain ingredient I replace it with something similar. It usually works out okay, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete