Saturday, September 30, 2023

while the mockingbird sings

 


I put on my little wellies and sloshed outside to throw more cardboard into the raised bed. It rained all day yesterday with a lighter rain today - but still rain. I walked onto the bridge to take a look at the roaring brook, but it seems fine. It has more water than usual, but nothing crazy. But it's very dreary out, and I'm sure never got up to sixty degrees yesterday.

But, up to the seventies next week! Meanwhile, I get out my fall clothes, a little at a time, and put some things away, a little at a time. And that's how it goes in New England; we have way more than two or four clothing seasons. 

But in the background the mockingbird is singing, which is a welcome accompaniment to fall.

5 comments:

  1. This changeover time is awkward, isn't it? We had some really cold nights last week so I decided to wear warmer night clothes. This week the nights have been warmer - until yesterday evening when it got cold again! The answer must be summer pyjamas with socks and a pullover and look like my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your postings so much. Things must be done, rain or shine. The way I deal with dressing for the seasons is mostly by adding and removing layers. I haven’t added one yet.hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, God bless you, Mary!
      I love the layered look myself; I find it very attractive.

      Delete
  3. Our highs are in the 70's, and some in the 80's are forecast -- but overall the days are cool, with a very short peak of warmth. Still, I haven't closed the windows.... I'm not thrilled about moving on to "the cold season"!

    ReplyDelete