Sunday, September 10, 2023

the song of the cricket

 A fellow from the phone company came on Friday when my brother was home for lunch - that was nice! I was getting a little more reading done while the internet was out, though. :)

We're starting to hear crickets in the library - this occurs every September. I like the sound, but I guess they like to eat fibers. But it's hard to catch them; I'd rather just enjoy their singing. 


"The common cricket is small, dark-brown and numerous - also noisy. 'Ye-up, ye-up', he sings harshly. His voice sounds like a burlap sack filled with corn being dragged bumpily over a stone road. His ambition is to get into the house and hide, there to sing until winter overtakes him or her gets stepped on.

The voice of the cricket is a theme of reassurance carried from an ancient civilization into our modern one. If I ever have to dive for survival into an underground shelter, I hope there will be a cricket familiarly 'ye-up, ye-up, ye-upping' there."

                                        - Rachel Peden


No comments:

Post a Comment