Monday, August 14, 2023

flatbreads

 Last night I decided I should make bread today. This morning I was reading Gretchen's blogpost and when she got to the part about making bread, I hightailed it out of there - I had forgotten. I went to my recipe box and saw a recipe for flatbread with spelt and rye flours. 


It made about ten, and now I know how to cook flatbreads. I had to mess with the ingredients, as the dough wasn't sticky like they said it would be; I had to add flour and water, and I let it rise longer than they said to. But then, you heat up the pan, roll it out thin, and cook it on the stove, with the lid on the skillet, for two minutes on each side. So, you stand there and it takes a while. But I was afraid to go and do anything - this is something I'll have to figure out if I ever make it again. A regular loaf doesn't need any watching, at least for most of its time in the oven. Anyway, it's very good.

5 comments:

  1. My experience of flatbreads is that they are usually chewy, and I like that aspect a lot. Many of them use whole grain flours, which I also like, for the flavor. Can you share your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It's nice to know how to do it, and now I wonder if you can make them with any old bread dough.

      Delete