Thursday, July 13, 2023

plugging along

I am still reading the naturalist's journal of his time in North Carolina, still going through the Adams/Jefferson letters. In between, I am re-reading Elizabeth Goudge's Gentian Hill, which is in terrible shape and coming apart.


The cover, anyway, gives no idea of what's within the pages. I ordered a new one.


With the Literary Life podcast, we've got Kidnapped, which is quite an exciting adventure. Our library copy has illustrations by N.C. Wyeth. Where are the authors like Stevenson today?


Meanwhile, my dress is coming along slowly, and now I have to understitch the bodice facing, which I like to do by hand. 

This was in Magnificat a few days ago -

Forth in the peace of Christ we go;
Christ to the world with joy we bring;
Christ in our minds, Christ on our lips,
Christ in our hearts, the world's true King
.

It sounds cheerful, and encouraging. I like it! 

6 comments:

  1. One thing I love about reading blogs (like yours, anyway) is the encouragement I get from knowing, even from afar, people who are reading real books. Thank you for sharing your reading here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful lines at the end! indeed, where are the authors? love Elizabeth Goudge...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a number of too-well-read books that are falling apart. I can't bear to part with them as they have travelled with me through my life but they are so difficult to read now, with chunks falling out all over the place.
    I read my first Elizabeth Goudge earlier this year after reading how much you love her writing and yes, I am smitten! Richard bought me "The City of Bells" for Christmas and I enjoyed the story very much and loved her descriptive writing - the weather, the city, the people. I wonder why on earth I never visited Wells (Torminster) in Somerset when we lived there!!
    I also love RLS and you are right, we don't have many authors like him any more. I have recently read a few books by CJ Sansom who tells a good tale. His stories are set in Tudor England and because of the brutal times they are set in can be a bit brutal too. But I find them unputdownable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mind replacing this book, Clare, because it wasn't good when I bought it. "A City of Bells" was the first one of hers I read, too - such a beautiful story! I knew you would like it. Please let Richard know he has to get you the Eliot Family trilogy for this Christmas. The Bird in the Tree; The Herb of Grace, or Pilgrim's Inn, called one thing in your country and the other in mine; and The Heart of the Family, if found separately. Otherwise, The Eliots of Damerosehay omnibus.
      I have eyed the Sansom books at times and will have to put them on my list.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Lisa. I will put those books on my wish-list.

      Delete