Monday, July 17, 2023

garden tribulation

Well, I finished reading Kidnapped - I never expected such an abrupt ending! It seemed so strange, that I googled it to see if there is any conversation on the subject. And, as it turns out, there is a sequel! I guess I'll have to read that one, too. 

We've had excessive humidity nonstop for what seems like a month; maybe it's three weeks. Usually, the temperature goes up, the air is dry the first day, and if the heat continues, humidity will creep in. After a few days, we get a break. That is more or less how our summers go, and of course things change up year to year. And the brook will often dry up by August. But there is no drought here now - more like rain every day for a spell, and yesterday while we were at Mass, it poured so hard that people coming in had big wet spots on their clothing and water was running like a stream along the side of our property. I just dug up a sad rosemary plant from the back garden which hasn't grown at all since I planted it - at least two months ago. I know these mediterranean herbs don't like a heavy soil, which is what we have; this evening when I went outside to rescue it, there was standing water in the garden. More about that another time.

The side, kitchen garden has better soil and we've got some beans coming in now - they are favas - I've never liked them very well. (I'm a poor sort of Italian: don't like favs, mozzarella, or even cannoli.) But anyway, I'll eat them - it's a vegetable, it's food. 


Meanwhile, you-know-who was dropping some onto the floor, from one of her reconnaissance trips along the counter. The sooner I get them cooked, the better.


"Preserve the warmth of the family, because the warmth of the whole world cannot make up for it."

- St. Sharbel Makhluf

8 comments:

  1. I don't like fava beans or broad beans unless they are picked quite early and are soft and green and very sweet. Most people tend to pick them when they have got large and mealy and I don't like them so well then. Then, the best way to serve them is in a cheese or a tomato sauce and I can pretend they aren't there!
    Poor rosemary! Up until recently rosemary has done well in my garden as long as I don't overwater it or feed it too much. What has killed my plants recently is the unwelcome attention of the Rosemary beetle which likes all the mint family including lavender. Ugh!
    Lovely quote! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of a rosemary beetle. Perhaps it's an English creature.

      Delete
    2. Rosemary beetles aren't native to Britain and have only fairly recently taken up residence. They come from the Mediterranean area in southern Europe, north Africa and the Middle East. The beetles are very pretty but cause such damage!

      Delete
  2. I am taking notes on your reading suggestions. Kidnapped I have not read; not sure why. I won't even comment on heat and humidity; something we have to live with here in the south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have my sympathy for living with humidity. I would be useless without a/c.

      Delete
  3. Would your rosemary do better in a big pot? I brought lots of rosemary cuttings from the Deloraine house. They seem to grow well in Tasmania, although they haven't done much growing yet, as it's winter. But they haven't died either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I put it in a pot, Lynda. I knew it wouldn't like being in the heavy soil, but didn't expect so much rain in addition. Rosemary isn't hardy for our climate, so I'm not sure what's going to happen with it - it's rather late at this point for it to grow very much. I feel sorry for it. :)

      Delete
    2. Well, that makes sense, doesn't it? Since rosemary is native to that area. :D

      Delete