Thursday, June 29, 2023

night creatures

I just went out across the brook to watch the fireflies. Sunset was half an hour ago, and it's not very dark yet, but getting to be. I stood at the end of the bridge and they began to appear, one or two on the right, and then a few way over into the clearing, flashing and sparkling as they do. Then, a possum (opossum, really) came along from the right hand side. He didn't see me, just traveled along the edge of our property, sniffing at an evergreen shrub. I cleared my throat but he didn't stop. But when I moved, and my keys jingled (I brought them in case I got locked out), he stopped. I stayed still and said something encouraging; he continued over to the brook. They used to put me in mind of a big rat, but I find them rather endearing now. I was glad to see him. 

According to Silent Sparks, by Sara Lewis, adult fireflies live only a few weeks! How many strange things there are in this world. I'm grateful for the yearly show.

6 comments:

  1. lovely. amazing isn't it! I am always happy to hear about moments in your life like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you long to live in the "wild", like I do, Elizabeth! :D Someday.

      Delete
  2. you are so far ahead of us with the fireflies. I saw my first a couple of days ago. Your love of simple things is priceless. Hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. :) I once saw a firefly in late May! So now I always look for them early (even though that was not the usual thing)
      To me, the two most magical things in the world are, Christmas and the fireflies. I get a childlike excitement over both.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely naturalist report! And yes! Oh, what a world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These kind of books are so pleasant to read.

      Delete