Monday, January 2, 2023

the grace to see the bird and the tree

 A Happy New Year to everyone!  We're having very mild weather, with predictions of sixty degrees on Wednesday. It's nice, but - a bit of snow would make it seem more like Christmas. 

This photo is as grainy as it can be, but - it's too cute; the minute Daisy hears the sound of the sweater defuzzing machine, she comes flying in. Today she was so into it that she kept sitting on the sweater I was trying to defuzz. 


After a priest recently told me that the animals are also made in the image of God (honestly, he didn't say it exactly in those terms, but I can't recall precisely). I am trying to see them in a newer, deeper  light. Of course, I already knew that just because God made them, they had importance, but there was something about the way Father worded it. I hadn't thought about it in quite that way. So, little Daisy-Waisy was being a cat and a youngster, and investigating. I need to laugh about these episodes and enjoy the whole business. And then, in Malcolm Guite's Waiting on the Word, is the poem for today,
The Bird in the Tree, by Ruth Pitter.

The tree, and its haunting bird,
Are the loves of my heart;
But where is the word, the word,
Oh, where is the art,

To say, or even to see,
For a moment of time,
What the Tree and the Bird must be
In the true sublime?

They shine, listening to the soul,
And the soul replies;
But the inner love is not whole,
And the moment dies.

Oh, give me before I die
The grace to see
With eternal, ultimate eye
The Bird and the Tree.

The song in the living Green,
The Tree and the Bird - 
Oh have they ever been seen,
Ever been heard?

3 comments:

  1. I like that poem very much. The wish goes beyond observation and acceptance, doesn't it? The poet wishes to see creation more as God sees it; to see the essence and 'soul' of the tree and the bird. Your Daisy's amusing behaviour and your observation made me realise that I too, must learn to accept and enjoy what goes on around me even if it means my work is held up. My younger daughter Elinor loved Eric Carle's 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' when she was tiny and insisted on acting out the caterpillar emerging from the cocoon as a butterfly every week when I changed the sheets and quilt covers on the beds. She would roll up in the quilt and then burst out and fly round the room multiple times. The job took ages but she looked forward to the game so much I couldn't tell her not to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pray for you, Clare, and you pray for me - it's not so easy to change! I love the story about Elinor, because it's exactly what Annie used to do; she must be Annie's twin, but then how did Annie end up way over here........ (not to mention she's a little younger than Elinor)

      Delete