Thursday, December 29, 2022

in the twelfth century

 The week following the big holiday is very quiet, after all the busyness - it seems odd, but it's necessary, I think. I finished reading a Brother Cadfael mystery, Dead Man's Ransom. I couldn't remember who the murderer was - thought it was someone else - but that isn't why I re-read them anyway; it's the whole story, and her telling of it. It was great!


The weather today was so beautiful, up into the forties, but sunny and it felt much warmer. I went outside and quickly re-pruned the rugosa. I hadn't cut it back far enough, and when the snow piles up, the canes will break without proper pruning. I was out there with only a cardigan because it took just a minute or two; I got a few rosehips while I was at it. 


The Christmas season is wonderful! A client of my brother's brought in a bottle of maple syrup from his own trees in Vermont, where they have another place. Lovely!


It's the feast of St. Thomas a Becket; he was supposedly murdered at the suggestion of Henry II, who was king after Cadfael's day, but not very long after. I recently obtained a used copy of Murder in the Cathedral, by T.S. Eliot:

What, at the time of the birth of Our Lord, at Christmastide, is there not peace upon earth, goodwill among men?  
The peace of this world is always uncertain, unless men keep the peace of God.

5 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy new year to you, Lisa xoxo
    I love the Ellis Peters Cadfael series and often go back to the books for comfort. I recently listened to an audio production of "Dead Man's Ransom" - she (EP) describes young peoples' behaviour very well; their recklessness and and the way they assume their elders would never understand them. I like the books she writes under her own name of Edith Pargeter, too.
    In September 2021 I travelled to Canterbury in Kent to visit an old friend and during the afternoon we went to the cathedral and wandered round for a while. My friend's husband is a guide and it was a very interesting tour. I had been to Canterbury cathedral three of four times before but not for forty years at least! The place where St Thomas was murdered is marked by a candle placed on the ground and there is an altar just in front of it which was installed in 1986.
    https://morthouse.com/page/10 I hope this link works!
    Henry VIII got rid of the original shrine during the reformation. dreadful man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, Clare - it's nice to see what the spot looks like. So long ago! I agree that Henry VIII was a dreadful man. :D
      I also go to those books for comfort. Edith Pargeter had, I think, a love for her fellow man, which shows in the way she describes people. Young folks, especially; young lovers often appear in the mysteries, don't they? Cadfael is a wonderful character, so interested in others, and noticing everything. He is good to spend time with. Happy New Year to you, and Richard, and everyone!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Lisa and thank you for your card, too! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're welcome. And while we're speaking of cards, I was interested to see that you've got barcodes on your stamps now. What's next?

      Delete
    2. I know! Isn't it crazy! And some stamps don't even look like stamps any more. Richard went into a post office (they are becoming quite rare and difficult to find) and used a machine to buy stamps and they were printed strips of white paper with no picture! Everything is becoming so dull and prosaic. No fun, no beauty, no humour. Oh dear! ;)

      Delete