Saturday, December 17, 2022

O Wisdom, come and show us

 Today I decided to make cookies instead of cleaning, or even making dinner - we got some soup and sandwich stuff at the store. I made totos, which take a while, but I love them and haven't had them for a few years. 

They are Italian cookies my aunt used to make, and a woman who comes into the library gave me her recipe - they are exactly like Auntie Adeline's. If you want to make them, this is how:

Totos

Mix together 4 cups of flour, 1 cup of cocoa powder, 1/2 tablespoon (one and a half teaspoons) of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of cloves. Set this aside.

In the bowl of the mixer, blend one egg, one cup of cold coffee, 2/3 cup of oil, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, and 2 teaspoons each of orange peel and lemon peel. Then add the dry mixture a little at a time. Finally, mix in about one and a half cups of raisins. 

Oil your hands and, with a soup spoon, scoop up some and roll it into a ball, medium sized. They don't spread in the oven. Bake them at 350 F.

Now, the lady who gave me the recipe apparently bakes her for 50 minutes. I do not! I had written on mine to keep them in for 25, but today I was experimenting, and I think 15 might be good enough. Let's say between 15 and 20 minute per batch. 

When they cool, make a thin icing with powdered sugar and lemon juice - don't skip it! These cookies have many flavors in them, but they are good! Enjoy.

The O Antiphons begin tonight. 

O Wisdom, coming forth from the mouth of the Most High,
reaching from end to end, mightily and sweetly ordering all things:
come and teach us the way of prudence.

Dolly, 12 years ago. 
There she was when we came home from Mass on Christmas Day.


6 comments:

  1. Yum yum! My cousin and her daughter are coming to make cookies tomorrow, standard choc chip, peanut, butter oatmeal, hermits, and florentines. We tried this recipe last year and loved it. My list is ambitious, so I may have to finish another day! Beautiful photo of Miss Dolly. Peanut lays curled up like that sometimes, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather touching to come home and see Dolly waiting for us in front of the presents.
      The standards are fine, as long as there are cookies!!

      Delete
  2. This looks very interesting! I will add it to my Christmas cookie recipe collection, hoping for another chance to bake several kinds for the holiday... It hasn't worked out very well the last few years.

    When I am doing a special project like this, I also can't make dinner and clean house the same day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I am at a point where I want to give the baking my full attention and enjoy it, rather than speed along to fit in everything I feel should be done.

      Delete