Saturday, October 29, 2022

warm colors and autumn things

 



Many of the leaves have fallen already, a lot from the heavy rains we had early in the week. Frosts threaten us every night now, but so far our pepper and tomato plants are fine, and so are the zinnias and marigolds. In fact, there are so many flowers, I had an idea today. 

I put out two medium sized pumpkins on the front step, next to a small table that's always out there, with a container on it. There's potting soil in there, but I don't always know what to do with it. It's only half-full, and I was thinking the marigolds would look very pretty there next to the pumpkins. Meanwhile, I was cleaning a shelf in the basement which holds some extra mason jars, and that's where I got the idea.

I cut lots of marigolds and put them in five pint jars, with water. They fit in the container perfectly. 


Can you see the jars in there? My thought was that canning jars can take being frozen, so if the water freezes, the jars will be fine, and if the flowers die, well they're going to die if I leave them in the garden, too. So they may as well be seen on the front step!  I thought I'd try anyway. 


They look nice, don't they? You don't see the jars above the rim of the container. I have no idea how long they'll last there.

Meanwhile, I bought myself this book of poetry


Who could resist such a cover, not to mention a poem a day through autumn? 

4 comments: