Thursday, September 1, 2022

waiting for the glory


 I planted morning glory seeds late, I don't recall when, but maybe in June. I didn't want to think it was too late to be starting seeds, so I just did it. So, it's in a small pot on the back step and is twining around the rail, as you can see. It hasn't had a bloom yet. Why might this be? Because I didn't start it at the proper time? Because it knows it should be in a larger pot, or in the ground by now? I have fertilized it a few times. My plan was to wait for the blooms, then transplant it - well, there are two of them - over to the bridge, to twine around the railings there. I wonder what's the matter. 


After Dolly died, I felt I really should sew something, make something. In other words, occupy my mind with figuring out something. Here's a dress I like, but it's an old pattern and nobody seems to be selling it. However, I do have a dress pattern with a very similar bodice, so I'm going to have a look at it and see what can be done - the version I like is on the far right. I will have to turn my pattern from a crossover style to a one-piece bodice front, and raise the v-neck a little. It's been a while since doing anything like this, but it's not hard. 




Lord of all kindliness, Lord of all grace,
Your hands swift to welcome,
Your arms to embrace,
Be there at our homing, and give us, we pray,
Your love in our hearts, Lord,
at the eve of the day.

 

6 comments:

  1. I like pullover dresses; they are so comfortable and unfussy. Good luck with the adaptations you need to make.
    We have sung the hymn you quote so many times this year! It is definitely a year for Lord of all Hopefulness; this has pleased Richard as it is a favourite of his - we had it at our wedding.
    Morning Glory! I found it so difficult to get going when I originally planted the seeds. However, the two or three puny little plants I put out in the garden did fairly well and eventually had a few flowers. I left them to set seed and for years afterwards new plants grew up from the soil and were wonderful! Don't give up hope. As long as frost holds off they may still flower but they do need a long time to get going which is why all the seed packets encourage us to set the seeds early indoors. Mine grew really well in quite poor soil and I never fed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plants were also puny at the beginning - until I thought to fertilize! Then the vines took off and are longer every day. I do hope to see some flowers! I grew them once before, years ago and had no trouble. They bloomed prolifically and really did turn toward the morning sun.
      I really want to internalize all the words to that hymn. Richard has good taste. :)

      Delete
  2. It might be that your plant responded to the fertilizer by making more leaves, instead of flowers... but yes, the pot is small for supporting all that length of vine plus flowers. I have only had morning glories a long time ago, and of course, in a very different climate, so I don't really know what it takes where you are. Mine had to be removed after a couple of years, because it grew vigorously all over wooden steps and railing and wrecked the paint. :-(

    Gretchen Joanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder about that, Gretchen. The fertilizer is 5-3-3, which is higher in nitrogen, for leaves. But, the label insists it's for fruits and flowers, so I don't get it. It probably needs some potassium, but at this point - should I bother?

      Delete