Monday, July 11, 2022

July magic

 I finished washing the dishes rather late - it was almost dark. Almost, but you could still see shapes of trees and other things. And fireflies were twinkling across the brook. In past years I've watched them out my north window, flashing along the forsythia hedge where the catbirds sleep. Or a little farther off, in front of a big clump of tall things growing there forever, whatever they are. Big weeds. They show up well in front of dark bushes. But this summer they seem to mostly appear out my east window, in the back yard across the brook. This evening I followed them.

The twinkling! It's indescribable. Either you've seen it a thousand times (which means you need to read some fairy tales before it's too late for you), or it doesn't matter how often you see it - magic is still magic. It's always new. 


"borrowed" from the internet


4 comments:

  1. I would love to see a firefly one day! We don't get them in this country sadly, but we do get glow worms ( not worms but beetles). I've never seen a glow worm either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, they're not worms? But they're probably earthbound. I've been going outside almost every evening to see them. They're dwindling, and by the end of the month I think they'll be done. Tonight I was wondering what they are doing with themselves - what is their "business". Except to twinkle and cause delight.

      Delete
  2. I've only seen fireflies once, when my daughter lived in Maryland. It was magical, you're right about that!

    GretchenJoanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my - you don't have them in California? I am more fortunate than I realized. :)

      Delete