Saturday, July 23, 2022

dog, not cat days

 My intention in blogging is to say something at least on my days off, but here I am after almost two weeks absent. It seems that every now and then I get immersed in something and blogging just falls by the wayside. 

It's very hot here; there's a heat advisory in effect until tomorrow night at eight, but there is air conditioning. Noisy as ours is, I appreciate it and am sorry for what our British friends went through recently, without much in the way of air conditioning. It will still be hot after eight tomorrow, so I'm not sure how they figure it. These are the dog days of summer. I did a google search for the cat days of summer, but I didn't find anything. 

We found ourselves frequently noticing that the rabbits seemed content to feed on the clover, or whatever it is, in our lawn, but now we've seen a rabbit bolt out of the garden twice. Time will have to tell what they're up to in there. 

We're doing a lot of watering - the side garden, the larger back garden. There are things in pots and assorted containers near the driveway, and then the young trees. My brother tells me he's ordered another tree, a kousa dogwood. I really didn't want one; I'm not sure if I like them. There are several in town and they're so messy-looking. But it's really because no one shapes them properly. They end up like a scraggly bush but they can be made to look like a tree. So we've got a white crabapple, an ornamental cherry, a linden and a purple-leafed plum tree. And the assorted box, and holly. Lots of water needed in this dry season. 

It's one month since Dolly's diagnosis. I look at her and wonder if the cancer is spreading to other organs inside. Outwardly, she doesn't appear any worse. I remember Dr. P. said the average time is 347 days. So that would be minus 30 at this point, if she follows the average. One day at a time. 

A young woman came to the library to get her card updated. I noticed her address - she lives on my street. I don't even know my neighbors! Well, they don't know me, either. It's a modern disease. Meanwhile I read my Gladys Taber book, and feel nostalgia for a community where they all interact meaningfully. 


6 comments:

  1. It is so hot right now! Here too! It really is a different world now. Lord have mercy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were very hot last week but fortunately not as hot as some people. My daughter Alice had to deal with 40C but we only got up to 37C. She lives in the city and it never cools much at night in the summer but we eventually had some cooler air overnight and opened our windows wide. If temperatures like that become more regular we may have to invest in A/C.
    Poor Dolly and especially poor you and your brother! At least she doesn't know she has a terminal illness. Animals are so pragmatic and sensible about illness and death. If she can get relief from pain she won't suffer. Only us humans suffer mentally from knowing about terminal illness. We watch and wait and count the days instead of, as you say, taking each day as it comes and counting blessings. God be with you all, Lisa xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that if you double the Celsius number and add thirty, you get the Fahrenheit number. Do you think this is right? Because you still had a high temp there, if my calculations are correct, Clare.

      Delete
    2. I'm so sorry to be replying so late, Lisa! I read if you multiply by 1.8 (or 9/5 ?? surely not!) and then add 32 you can convert Celsius to Fahrenheit. I use an on-line converter because I'm hopeless at maths! 37C is 98.6F and 40C is 104F. Crazy temperatures for this country and we have more hot days to come. We are in drought now and have had no significant rain since May.

      Delete
    3. No significant rain since May! Clare, that's bad. It finally became more temperate today; still warm, still somewhat humid, but bearable.

      Delete