Thursday, May 19, 2022

red lentil soup for a damp day

 It really seems like summer has begun early this year, except for today. It was barely sixty and rainy. I made a new recipe for the second time, a hearty red lentil soup on this damp day. I don't remember where I cut it out from, but the paper says it was developed by a Bill Millholland. Thanks, Bill. 

Dice up a large onion, two carrots and two celery stalks, and saute in olive oil for ten minutes. Add three minced garlic cloves, a tablespoon of tomato paste, a half teaspoon of ground cumin, one quarter teaspoon of saffron and one quarter teaspoon of turmeric. Stir around for another minute. 

Add four cups of chicken stock and one and a half c. water, half a bag of frozen spinach and a pound of red lentils, rinsed well. Cook this for twenty minutes. I end up adding another quart of water, it's so thick, so you will, too. It's still like porridge when it's done. One teaspoon kosher salt and a half tsp. black pepper. This is really tasty and filling.

5 comments:

  1. This looks really good! I love lentil soups and for decades cooked up at least one big potful a week from my half-dozen favorite recipes. My kids are built from lentils!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only recently discovered the red ones, which I think I like better than the browns.

      Delete
    2. I used to use red lentils a lot, too. I liked them because they cooked so quickly! - Gretchen Joanna

      Delete
  2. That was Gretchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really sorry you're having this trouble commenting, Gretchen.

      Delete