Saturday, January 8, 2022

the profound stillness

 I think I happened upon an answer to my question from yesterday:

"Why do people always get so still when they watch the snow, murmured Carol at the kitchen window, as if they could see it better that way?
  It is because the beginning of snow is, itself, a profound stillness in which the listener hears the thoughts of his own secret heart."

                                           -  from A Farmwife's Almanac of Country Living, by Rachel Peden




4 comments:

  1. I have appreciated your snowing photos in the last few posts, and the thoughts about quietness.

    I probably have not experienced as much snowy landscape as the Farmwife, but my feeling has been the opposite of hers, when I am out in the snow and the dark -- it seems that the world is full of divine presence. Maybe it just comes with the stillness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get the idea that she is particularly spiritual in this book.

      Delete