Monday, December 13, 2021

adventing

It seems about two weeks before Christmas I get the urge to bring out more glitter and shine; this may have something to do with Gaudete Sunday, which was yesterday. Now things are looking more like Christmas around here, but I haven't finished yet. 

I organized another shelf in one of the basement closets, and it's so neat now. There are some cake pans, birthday candles, cookie cutters and colored sugars and other sprinkles, etc., and I tend to use those decorations at this time of year mostly. I haven't made any cookies yet, but I think I'll do better by making quick drop-type cookies, and maybe scones and some cakes which I can slice into portions to give people. Nothing too fussy or time-consuming. 

The bathroom floor is scrubbed and shining. I feel like I'm getting somewhere. 



The orange slices I dried last year still look good - I may do some more. 

Dolly was fussing at us so much earlier this evening - she had food nearby, so we didn't know what was the problem. After quite a while, I put her on my bed on the green quilt and turned on the radio. Immediately, she began to settle and talk in a contented way. Dolly, I apologize that I didn't think to turn it on before! I can't believe this is what she actually wanted - since, when she complains, it always sounds the same, and we always think she's saying,  "I want food". Everything she says sounds the same! Poor Dolly. But she seems to take comfort in hearing the music nearby.

Meanwhile, I am following along this Advent with Malcolm Guite's book, Waiting for the Word, a poem each day with commentary by himself. I love it. 


6 comments:

  1. I am pleased you were able to comfort Dolly. <3
    You seem to be a little more ready for Christmas than I am. I have nearly finished writing all the cards we send and I have bought most of the presents I need to send in the post but I can't get at all enthusiastic - not even for a little Advent thoughtfulness. I keep harking back to last Christmas and how dreadful it was and hoping that we don't have a disaster like Mum's flood this year. Alice had been going to visit this Christmas but her husband tested positive for Covid on Tuesday and he is very poorly and she thinks it is inevitable that she will catch it now. Fortunately she had her booster injection two weeks ago so I hope that gives her a little protection.
    I love your photo of the dried orange slice! It has such a rich colour xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clare. :) I'm sorry to hear about Alice's husband, but tell her to keep her levels of Vit. D and zinc up - it is supposed to help tremendously. Also, to gargle with mouthwash that's got CPC in it - it's an anti-plaque agent which has been proven to help keep the viral stuff on its way from the nose into the lungs. She needs to gargle 30 seconds, three times a day. There are several brands which contain this stuff. I've seen this information in several places, and it's been tested in different countries.
      I know it's hard to feel like Christmas sometimes - keep trying, Clare! Sit near the tree, play the music, read a comforting book. Pray! You know all these things, though. I've got Malcolm Guite's book, Waiting on the Word. It's really good.
      As for the orange slice, I found a broken one this morning, and I know who is to blame! :D

      Delete
    2. I meant that the mouthwash is preventing the virus from moving along! (You probably figured that out)

      Delete
    3. I just re-read my post - I didn't need to tell you what I'm reading, did I? LOL

      Delete
  2. Thank you for cheering me up, Lisa! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time, Clare. Any time. :D I'll just be my usual clueless self.

      Delete