Monday, August 23, 2021

the storms are past

 The storm moved more to the east and yes, we had lots of torrential rain but not as much as we feared. And, the winds were nothing like predicted for our area. I'm grateful. You know, you plan ahead for something, possibly destructive, and even when it doesn't come to pass, you need a day to just get over/process it, thank God, rest/recover, ponder it - whatever. Yes, you could go on with business as usual, but we are not machines. And we're still feeling the effects of it now, with tropical air and a soaking rain much of the day (but no "rivers" along the fence, as it didn't come down too fast).


A sympathy card came in the mail signed by one of Sweetie's doctors and two other employees there. This is not unheard of, but they each wrote a note inside! I was so sorry to hear about Sweetie. She was a very special cat - and so lucky to have such a loving family to care for her. Be comforted knowing you did everything you could. With sincere sympathy, and signed by the oncology doctor. Somewhere along the way, we'd heard there was a pet cancer center a couple of towns over which we had no idea of. We took her there in early spring, and even though by then Sweetie's tongue was infiltrated by the tumor, she still could move it somewhat and she still wanted to eat. They gave us a pill called Palladia, which is not chemo per se, but it can stop or slow down the cancer's growth. It seemed to, and Sweetie got used to us feeding her. It was a huge learning curve for all three of us, finding what foods were best for using in a syringe and what sizes of syringe are best. I will say that I'd always seen her as a difficult personality (Tortie!) but she surprised me, she was also willing to learn. She had to learn to get used to my brother trying to wash her feet and tail - you can't imagine how gross she got from the litter box. She had to learn to  let us feed her, but even when she gave a hard time she'd come back for more food, and she'd always come to us again at night, purring; she did not hold a grudge, she knew we were trying to help. 

This type of cancer, oral squamous cell carcinoma, afflicts many cats and it's fast and lethal. She lasted a year, which was way more than the three to six month prediction. But this statistic is based on most people having their cat euthanized, so it's not a true statistic. Apparently there is a very promising treatment, but it's still in trials in Illinois and they would not let us participate - my brother was in contact with someone involved in it; he really did a lot of research. We always figured the time would come when we'd have her put to sleep, but she had plenty of life in her and she wanted to keep going. Her mouth would get infected often, and she'd need Clavamox to be comfortable enough to eat. We always did what we thought best and were grateful for the doctors who could support us. 




6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing more of Sweetie's story. I had a tortie, two actually. One was feral, and my mother and I took her and her kittens in. The momma kitty we named Amanda, but we always called her Momma. My other tortie was Lucy Lou, who came along some years after Momma. Momma Amanda never really came around to a loving state, but Lucy Lou was a friendly foundling from the start. I miss both cats and seeing your account has brought back memories, both sweet and sad at the same time. So thoughtful of your vet to send a note. It's hard for them too, I think, when they lose a patient. I hope you are doing well. Glad to read that the worst of Henri has passed you by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elsa Louise. :) You are right about the vets - my brother had called the oncology hospital and it happened the doctor was available, so her told her Sweetie had died. She thanked him and said it often happened that the patients stop coming in, but the staff never knows what happened.
      I'm not sure I'd want another tortie - we've had two, and they can be difficult! Our previous one had to go to another home because she hounded Dolly incessantly. I think she felt she had to eliminate her and Dolly was spending entire days behind chairs or the couch, just for some peace. It was bad.

      Delete
  2. Oh how kind about the card!!! You wereso kind to me when my Cleo died, I will never forget it! I love how careful and caring you were for Sweetie! God bless you both as you grieve her ❤🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You dear girl! I have my two ornaments, with Henry and Mr. Kibble, hanging on nails above the kitchen sink - I never took them down after Christmas. I like seeing them!

      Delete
  3. What a difficult time you have had recently! No wonder you needed to get your breath back after the storm. Thank you for explaining more about Sweetie, her cancer and treatment. There is so much more that can be done to care for sick pets than was available when I had cats but it doesn't make the worry any less when they are sick or the sorrow any less when they pass away. You did what you had to do and Sweetie seemed to respond so well to your care and love. Take care, dear Lisa xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Clare! We got a lovely card today from her regular vet, signed by him with a note.

      Delete