Monday, August 9, 2021

local wildlife

My brother came in from doing yardwork and said he discovered grape vines growing across the brook. And grapes, planted by the birds, and he only found them after trying to remove some overgrown bittersweet vines - there were grape leaves, and grapes, behind a rhododendron and some arbor vitaes. I put on my little wellies and went out to see. 


I passed by the apple tree - it's getting more sun these days since the nearby tree came down, but it's scrawny.

There are plenty of small but clean looking apples, but the leaves look diseased.


I continued on my way. See the group of three arbor vitaes? The grapes are behind them.



I picked a few small bunches which were mainly purple. But why didn't I taste one first? They are as sour as a lemon. If we wait till they're bigger, or darker, I'm not so sure the sweetness will increase. So we're not sure what to do. The birds planted them, perhaps they should enjoy them. Or, whoever. Many of the leaves have scale, but the fruits all look perfect. I don't know what creatures would eat them - maybe foxes? Raccoons, opossums? I removed a thick bittersweet vine which was winding around a shrub nearby and left them.

 I realized I haven't seen any rabbits for several days, when they're usually around somewhere. Then it dawned on me that perhaps there are babies, and the family is laying low. So, I will be patient and hope to see some little bunnies in a couple of weeks, possibly.

This afternoon my brother called to me, to come to his window quickly, and look out. What did I see but a dinosaur walking down our street. I'm not kidding! It was one of the upright ones, T. Rex or something, but no worries because there was someone walking along with it. Of course we both said get a camera! but I had cat food on my fingers and was rather stunned anyway; it isn't every day - you know. But we both came to ourselves rather late and with our cameras ran out into the road. 


It was quite tall, as you can see. I remember one year before my neighbor-friend moved to Maryland - she called me one day to say a young deer had strolled up our street, and it seems she was the only one to witness it. This tops that story, I think. 

3 comments:

  1. Ha! That is a great story! A dino sighting, yes, yes, that's not something you see everyday. ;) Glad you got a pic to share.

    The birds help themselves to our grapes. I trust they will enjoy yours (or theirs, I guess, if they planted them...), too. Our grapes are super slow to ripen this year it seems. Not sure if that's on account of our wacky weather or what. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so I did wonder - they are untouched so far, but I suppose the birds know better than to eat a sour grape! :D

      Delete
  2. I am glad you managed to get a picture of the dinosaur! Will you keep the grapevine? Maybe with a feed and more sunshine the grapes will be sweeter next year.

    ReplyDelete