Sunday, July 25, 2021

quiet Sunday

 Note to self: resist adding too many noodles to the pot when making soup. I've done this more than once - it was fine, but really, today's chicken soup didn't need quite so much pasta.

And I also made ice cream. Clare, this is for you! This is the recipe, I've made it many times and it's adaptable to what you've got in the fridge. This is what I did:

In the blender, I whizzed:

  • 1 cup of milk
  • 1/2 cup of sugar (today I used raw, like she did)
  • 1/2 cup of cocoa
  • some mint extract
  • 2 cups of a mix of plain Greek yogurt and light cream, about 50/50
Chill, and when your canister is ready, make your ice cream! We actually finished off the batch right away, because it was so nice and cold. The recipe is from a lady named Rose, who passed away a few years ago; she was a friend of Rhonda Hetzel of Down to Earth.

I just finished The Wild Silence (The Salt Path sequel), by Raynor Winn - I could hardly put it down. If you've been wondering about The Salt Path, just read it! Her suffering, her determination, her writing. Unforgettable.


10 comments:

  1. Thank you for the ice-cream recipe, Lisa - I have made a note of it.
    I have read a number of really positive reviews of Raynor Winn's books so I think I must add them to my already teetering pile of books to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Clare, and it seems she's coming out with another in the fall, so you'd better get going. ;-) But I have one of those teetering piles, myself. :O

      Delete
  2. The joy of reading and an everlasting heap of books! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I certainly don't want to complain about it! :D

      Delete
  3. After your recommendation of the Elizabeth Goudge books (one of which I am really enjoying), I will take note of this recommendation too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's NOTHING like the other, Lynda - just warning you! But I thought it was important, genuine and amazing.

      Delete
  4. I didn't think it would be. My daughter (the one in CT) also recommended it to me, so I've reserved it from the library and will see what I think when it arrives. Even if it is a VERY GOOD book, I have to be in the right frame of mind to read certain books at certain times. But that's not the book's fault :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it makes such a difference if you read a book when you are "ready" for it!

      Delete
  5. The lure of more noodles is hard to resist! :)

    Matt and I just got an ice cream maker this summer. I feel like its gonna be fun! So far we've made only some simple-but-perfect vanilla batches, but the world is our oyster now that we've got a base recipe to use. I remember Rose from back in the day on DTE. She was a good one. Rhonda is a delight so she attracts lots of good ones. I'm tickled you're using Rose's recipe. It feels so heartwarmingly it-really-is-a-small-world.

    ReplyDelete