Thursday, July 8, 2021

now you see it, now you don't

 I think this is how I'm going to do the lace "collar"


I first pinned the sections further back at the shoulder seam, with a gap in the middle of the neckline; that looked all right, but then I thought I could maybe gather a length of it and stitch it along the whole front of the dress, but it didn't take long for me to change my mind about that - it might be clownish. So, I tried it like this. I don't mind that the sections don't reach to the shoulder seam, as I am aiming for a funky collar look, anyway. I'm not trying to make it look real. So, the upper edge of the lace pieces is just folded over the neckline and I guess I'm just going to hand-stitch it in place. I didn't know any other way to do it - I felt I had to bind the neckline first as I usually do and then figure out the lace. I've sewn several versions of this pattern (over-the-head, a-line dress), and I like finding ways of making each one distinct.

Okay, now this will be one of the strangest things you've seen this year.


This is a skirt. It's a heavyish cotton knit, in a "natural" background color, with blue and white flowers. I'd noticed a slight stain, visible only to me probably, but I put it in the Oxi Clean to soak and got lazy and left it there more than two weeks. But along the way, I thought it had turned this light purplish color. Now, I'm always soaking something or other in Oxi Clean and the only thing it does is get the stain out, eventually. This skirt is entirely made of cotton. I saw it in there, and thought, well, I suppose I won't mind having a skirt in that pretty shade, but I was in a lazy spell and I still left it in the Oxi Clean. I even threw in some other items, and stirred things up. This didn't affect anything else in this way, but some of the purple skirt stuck up into the air, and when I finally took it out, the part in the water was purply, but not the rest. As you see, above. 

Well. I rinsed it out, and decided to just pin it up on the clothesline and figure out what to do with it when it dried. Well! It's fine now! If this isn't the weirdest episode in my history of doing laundry, nothing else could be. I did notice that when I hung it outside, it was getting dark and it seemed almost phosphorescent. I suppose there's an explanation for it, and I'd like to hear it. But anyway, the stain is gone - ha! I should hope so, considering how long it soaked. And the skirt is put away for now. And I refuse to be afraid of Oxi Clean.

6 comments:

  1. How funny! Makes you wonder what chemistry was going on! Glad it turned out well!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I, Elizabeth! But I was kind of resigned to the idea of a purplish skirt, and it's gone back to normal. But I do wonder!

      Delete
  2. How very strange! These oxygen stain-removers are very good but they do have such a list of weird-sounding ingredients! I think the lace collar looks very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clare! As for the skirt, I'm glad I took a photo, as I'm not sure I would have been believed. :D

      Delete
  3. That sure is some strange chemistry adventures in laundry, Lisa! I like the collar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I do feel it has something to do with phosphorus, but I'm not a scientist.

      Delete