Sunday, June 27, 2021

good intentions

 I often have the intention to come here and post, and then something gets in the way. It could be tiredness, computer troubles, interruptions - whatever it is, I wonder if I need a new schedule. 

this person is not responsible for my lack of posts

We have had the most un June-like weather this month - many days over ninety. And more to come, through the month's end. Meanwhile, I made ice cream, naturally.


French Vanilla, with cacao nibs. I'm not a vanilla girl, but French - there's something about it. I just realized that my 1975 Betty Crocker cookbook has ice cream recipes in it; I've tended to use it as a reference, not always looking for particular recipes. It had three yolks and a tablespoon of vanilla. You could smell it all over; there are worse things.

Speaking of food, I've been buying different pasta shapes lately - let's say, in a spirit of adventure. I got some radiatore. I never thought about the name.


Radiators, of course! And they look like it. We think Italian is so romantic, don't we? But they are calling their pasta "little worms". (vermicelli), "little tongues" (linguini). Totally practical. According to Frances Mayes, there's one called "choked (or strangled) priests". I don't know the name, and can't imagine the shape. 

I'm in the middle of making a list of things I might want to make for July 4th. 

"Somehow the main function of a list is to make me feel well organized. Practically speaking, they aren't much use, as I invariably mislay them. I make careful grocery lists and leave them behind when I go to the village. But it is nice to know that when I get home I'll know what I forgot because the list is under the coffeemaker right where I left it when I unplugged the pot."

                                                     -  Gladys Taber
"


11 comments:

  1. Oh, Lisa! That Gladys Taber quote made me laugh! I love radiatore pasta! I remember going into a grocer's shop when in Italy (Pisa or Lucca) and seeing sacks and sacks of so many different shapes and colours of pasta. I wanted to buy loads of it but goodness knows how I could have brought it home on the plane stuffed into my suitcase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see any choked priests? :D Awful, really. I guess Italy is a hop, skip and a jump for you.
      The funny part of that quote is when she actually says it's nice to know what she forgot when she finds the list again! I have to admit that I've forgotten the list a couple of times, but did quite well without it, in fact the last time I remembered everything. But I think that's because I labor over them so much. :D

      Delete
    2. Sadly, I didn't see any choked priests! :D Yes, Italy is only a couple of hours on the plane. In fact it takes longer for us to drive to the airport in this country than it takes to fly to Italy. We have only been to Italy twice and would love to go again. :) I love making lists. Even when I forget to take the list with me (as I often do) the act of writing everything down helps me remember most things as you have found too.

      Delete
  2. I need a new blogging schedule too. I've not heard of choked priest pasta either. I wonder what they look like. I love all the different shapes. I remember walking through Naples and seeing each apartment's homemade pasta hanging up in any space available. Always spaghetti type, never shapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose if you make it yourself, noodles are much easier in many cases. So, you were brave enough to walk through Naples? I've heard people warn against it.

      Delete
  3. Your ice cream looks good! And that cute little face who is 'not responsible' :)

    And I can relate to Gladys leaving her shopping list at home. Thankfully I have usually written and re-written it so many times that I can remember what is on it anyway :)) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know that the next time I grocery shopped after writing this, I forgot the list? For some reason, while at the store, I felt that I must surely be forgetting many things. But, I did quite well. :)

      Delete
    2. Perhaps our memories aren't as bad as we thought! :))

      Delete
    3. I was going to say I'll remember that, but......who knows? But seriously, that would be a nice thing. :)

      Delete
  4. Ha! That is a GREAT quote. I do love making lists...even when they don't serve me as well as I'd hoped. ;)

    Earlier this year we were gifted some pasta shaped like wee little sombreros! They were fun. We put a meatball under each hat. It seemed like the thing to do.

    That is a gorgeous--and I am sure not at all distracting--feline friend you've got there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That feline is Orphan Annie, who is two years old and Very Cute. Love your meatball/sombrero story! Did you feel bad eating the "heads"? :D Lists, at the very least, help one to focus the mind, more important as the years go by.

      Delete