Monday, August 17, 2020

plugging along

 We are having a soaking rain this evening. It's very welcome, as things have been quite dry. The brook has dried up, which it often does in August, but even the lawn is almost dead in places and scratches the bare feet to walk on it. 

But the zinnias are doing very well, and having bright flowers next to the back steps is delightful.


My floral top only needs the armholes finished off, and will be done. 

Finishing them off with bias tape is always a somewhat lengthy affair. I sew it on, turn it to the inside and pin with all-metal pins (not plastic heads!). I spray it with water, press it, spray, press. I leave it to dry. Another day I remove the pins, spray and press again, pinning it again, trying to get the binding to stretch sufficiently. I baste, spray and press again. About half the time, it doesn't get perfect, and I don't know why. Especially at the neckline, the aim is to get it laying flat, and it doesn't always. I've seen videos of women who sew on the binding and then turn it under and top stitch it immediately. What! How is this possible? So, I labor on. But it's almost done.


A month has passed since Sweetie's diagnosis; outwardly, she seems the same. She is still eating, still a picky eater. She still comes in my lap when she's wanting a snack, she still can jump up to the chairs, the beds, the windows. If she's having pain, I can't detect it, but she still fusses at her mouth after eating. For my part, I searched around the house for Holy Water and found some from Medjugorje, so I bless her with that from time to time. And I bought a flower essence which is supposed to support the immune system - I spray her with this three or four times a day. Yes, she is terminal, I know, but it won't hurt her or interfere with her thyroid medication and I prefer to do something rather than be without hope. 

Lord God, you have made heaven and earth by your great might, with your outstretched arm;
nothing is impossible to you.  Jer. 32:17


I really don't expect anything, but I don't want to feel later like I never tried.



6 comments:

  1. I understand this caring for her!! I would do the same 💗🐈💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you would, Elizabeth! My naturopath said the flower essence might at least make her more comfortable. I'd be glad enough if that were the only difference.

      Delete
  2. That is very pretty fabric you are making a top out of. I'm amazed at how hard it is to do armholes like that; you are dedicated.

    Your zinnia photo is even nicer than the previous post's.

    I'm sorry about your dear cat. No matter if the "therapies" are ultimately curative, I'm sure she appreciates your hands-on ministrations, and it helps you to be with her at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gretchen. I do really love sewing, and I just need to make more time for it. Yes, I am also trying to put Sweetie up frequently, as that's her favorite thing in the world, and purring loudly (her, not me). Tonight, I was just noticing how sprightly she was moving around - and then I grabbed her to squirt the thyroid meds in her mouth and she swiped me from under the chair. Pretty lively! :D

      Delete