Thursday, August 13, 2020

birds and butterflies, cats and Chesterton

I really need to bring a camera when I go into the garden; there was a catbird complaining about something in a nearby bush, and I thought it would have made a cute little film. When I looked around to see who he was upset with, there was one of Diane's fluffy yellow cats - Leo, or Leon - I can't tell them apart. Then as I watered, some sprayed over the zinnias and a monarch butterfly rose up. I need to at least have the thing nearby, in case.

My camera seems to have a smear on the lens, or something. It's old - I need a new point and shoot.


 I've got hold of Maisie Ward's biography of G. K. Chesterton - it's great.

"My great ambition is to give a party at which everybody should meet everybody else and like them very much."

AN INVITATION

Mr. Gilbert Chesterton
requests the pleasure
Of humanity's company
to tea on Dec. 25th 1896.
Humanity Esq., The Earth, Cosmos E.

"G.K. liked everybody very much, and everything very much. He liked even the things most of us dislike. He liked to get wet. He liked to be tired. After that one short period of struggle he liked to call himself 'always perfectly happy'. And therefore he wanted to say, 'Thank you'."

You say grace before meals.
All right.
But I say grace before the play and the opera,
And grace before the concert and pantomime,
And grace before I open a book,
And grace before sketching, painting,
Swimming, fencing, boxing, walking, playing, dancing,
And grace before I dip the pen in the ink.

EVENSONG

Here dies another day
During which I have had eyes, ears, hands
And the great world round me;
And with tomorrow begins another.
Why am I allowed two?

9 comments:

  1. Zinnias are so bright and beautiful. Why is it that we see such lovely things when we don't have a camera with us or when it would be difficult or even dangerous to use a camera?!
    I do like GKC, as I've said before. I must see if I can get hold of Maisie Ward's biography of him. I have a book of some of his essays and they are such fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there was a goldfinch on the birdbath today, but when I reached for the camera and came back, it had flown! Well...
      I've actually never read anything by Chesterton except excerpts and quotations, and keep meaning to. Meanwhile, a friend brought this over; it's rather long, but not ponderous at all.

      Delete
    2. The Father Brown series with Mark Williams is quite good though only loosely based on GKC's stories. Do you know it? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2215842/

      Delete
    3. I have seen a couple of them, yes! Now you make me think to try and find the whole series. I saw all the older version of the series - can't think of the actor, and liked them, but there weren't too many and they're old-fashioned to watch now.

      Delete
  2. I know the one you mean! Kenneth More in the 70's, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kenneth More! A very good actor. But this other fellow, Mark Williams, was also Sir John Middleton in Sense & Sensibility, which I watched (yet again) just last week. I need my doses of Jane Austen films from time to time. :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, me too! I watched that Sense and Sensibility a couple of months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post. Lovely zinnias, and quotes by and about Chesterton, dear man....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm realizing how dear of a man he was.

      Delete