Sunday, July 5, 2020

garden peas

Our own peas!


In Under the Tuscan Sun, Frances Mayes tells of a trip to town, where she passed a woman sitting outside her doorway, cat sleeping at her feet, and shelling a huge pile of peas. "She looked up and rapidly said something in Italian and I smiled, only to realize as I walked on that she'd said, It shouldn't happen to a dog."

After I'd shelled this small amount, my brother came by and wondered why I'd done it. The pods are edible. Well - I had wondered what was different about them! That's okay; I put them in a salad today.

4 comments:

  1. Had he not told you the whole pea-pod was meant to be cooked? I love mange-tout! We had some last week but a few had been left too long and the peas had developed and the pods were dry. I shelled those ones but cooked them with the rest of the mange-tout. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he just said he was growing peas this year. :D And I think they're ones you eat raw. ? Not sure of anything now. :)

      Delete
  2. If the peas inside were that developed, the shells were likely beyond edible anyway :-)

    Fresh garden peas -- and sometimes the pods -- are SO special. I'm very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've bought them at the store - yeah, I guess they were just pods! :D I guess this is where I should say DUH!!

      Delete