Sunday, May 24, 2020

improving cookies

My brother got a cookie mix for Christmas, in addition to all the actual cookies. Which are long gone, of course. But this mix was still around.

I finally got around to deciding I would make some a few weeks ago, and was surprised to find three bags of mix inside the box. Well, that explained why it was so heavy. I made up a batch.

Dolly dreams of sitting outside with us tomorrow

They look like peanut butter blossoms, but they're not peanut butter, they're a shortbread and we agreed they seemed a bit bland. So with the second packet I thought I'd salt and some spices - namely, cinnamon and ginger. It is somewhat improved, I think. Unless I'm just imagining it - I could be.



But I'm not sure what to do with the last batch.

3 comments:

  1. I love to add chopped glacé cherries or dried fruit to shortbread. Choc chips are good too! Spice is good as you know or you could add some tart fruit juice to icing which would counteract the bland sweetness of the shortbread.
    That is a very sweet picture of Dolly! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These big chips are included with the mix, so I suppose I must use them. Although I suppose we could just eat them separately, and then I could put other "stuff" in the batter - thanks for the ideas, Clare!

      Delete
  2. If it's shortbread, you could add cocoa powder, or lemon peel, or candied ginger -- or a combination of two of those three ;-) Do they have butter?

    ReplyDelete