Tuesday, January 21, 2020

a little extra work at dinner

I came home to leftovers of not-a-lot-of chicken, some veg and mashed potatoes. Naturally, I thought of shepherd's pie, so I heated up a roux with three tablespoons of oil and a quarter cup of flour, added two cups of chicken stock, marjoram and salt. I then had to mash the cold potatoes with some cream and egg. Some parmesan sprinkled on top and a bit of leftover cheddar and I was very pleased with myself as I put it in the oven at six thirty.

When I realized I wouldn't be eating it till at least ten after seven, I had to content myself with a bowl of broccoli soup and a few cookies. (yes, we are still eating those!) And when I did have supper, it was very nice to have a hot and thoughtful meal. It hadn't seemed like enough until I put it all together - way more than the sum of its parts.


6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Warm and comforting! I have lots of Christmas treats as well 🎄🌟

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever you! That looks and sounds so tasty! We have no Christmas treats left and I miss them! It is good to get back to a plainer diet but I keep opening cupboards and staring inside in the hope that something tasty will appear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a comforting meal you created, Lisa! And thanks for mentioning your oil based roux. I'm going to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I don't want to bother melting butter - fat is fat. :D These amounts were from a recipe I used the day before, and I knew it came out well.

      Delete