Thursday, November 7, 2019

romantic November

Where I live, November is the month with the least amount of sunshine. That's funny, coming right after the sunniest.

Today was such a day - cool, drizzly and dim. They warned of possible snow flurries tonight, but just a dusting. We'll see.


This month is when most of the leaves come down, when the temperatures drop, frosts come at night. It's when you put the gardens to bed, cover everything with compost, give a good root fertilizer to the shrubbery and prune any wayward twigs. Put the garden hoses in the shed and shut off the outside water faucets.

November appeals to me. I feel more like focusing on the inside, and getting ready for Thanksgiving, and then Christmas. The gray skies, the brown leaves serve as contrast to the coziness within doors and make everything in the home more appealing to me. So, I like it. There's a certain romance about this month.

9 comments:

  1. We probably have mentioned this poem to each other before, but I will share it again. My son learned it in first grade.

    The Mist and All

    by Dixie Wilson

    I like the fall,
    The mist and all.
    I like the night owl's
    Lonely call--
    And wailing sound
    Of wind around.

    I like the gray
    November day,
    And bare, dead boughs
    That coldly sway
    Against my pane.
    I like the rain.

    I like to sit
    And laugh at it--
    And tend
    My cozy fire a bit.
    I like the fall--
    The mist and all.--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't know this, Gretchen! I like it. :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like my kind of weather :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm not surprised to hear you say that! :)

      Delete
  3. I love how the cold weather clears the slate and lets everything rest before it gets going again in Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. And it has its own beauty, definitely.

      Delete
  4. Three cheers for November! It is a cozy month conducive to keeping home. Your picture captures it well!

    ReplyDelete