Saturday, November 2, 2019

brown sugar, berry stains and George Washington

Well, I went to the supermarket today. The Domino light brown sugar was light, and the dark was dark. The store brand, however, was another matter; the light was darker than it should have been and what I suspect is that they had made a mistake, either with too much molasses in a huge batch of the stuff, or maybe something got mis-labeled. So I guess for a while if I want real light brown sugar, I'll just get the brand name, until things settle down properly.


Last Sunday I made a fruit crisp for dessert, using frozen strawberries and some blueberries. I ended up with berry stains on one cotton napkin, one linen napkin and a lace tablecloth - polyester, I think. Normally when I'm doing laundry, I'll spray any spots with Shout, and I would say that about eighty percent of the time, they will come out. But you know how berry stains are - I decided not to use the Shout, but try something different.

I had earlier stumbled on this youtube video on stain removal, and set about using their method. It was an oily (a bit of canola oil in the topping) organic stain and I first sprayed the areas with a vinegar water solution, then dealt with the stains. Honestly, I was amazed that the biggest one on the tablecloth came out - they all did!

This Gentleman's Gazette also has a video on how to wash your wool suits - yes, you heard me correctly! Exciting stuff!

One more exciting thing: I forgot to tell you that George Washington has agreed to come to our library!  And he knocked one hundred dollars off his price!!

Never give up.

6 comments:

  1. George Washington at the library! Yay!
    It's good to know that there are still people around that know how to get rid of stains 'naturally'. I use Shout a lot but it doesn't get rid of all stains. I use lemon juice and vinegar for all sorts of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never think of lemon juice for the laundry! There's a lot I don't know, for sure.

      Delete
  2. Lisa, that is wonderful that George is coming to your library and at a bargain!!

    Thank you for the stain removal technique. It is so fun to play around and have success!! You didn't ask, but I'll tell you how I remove fresh berry stains. Boil water and pour it over the stain. It disappears!! I'm not kidding. It has worked for me countless times with my messy boys and father-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use vinegar and water solution to clean my kitchen surfaces and have been known to put it in the washing machine, but I don't know why I've not thought of using it for stain removal. Neat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also use it for surfaces - one cup vinegar, two of water, with two tablespoons of baking soda.

      Delete